Federal Student Loans
For information about the complete listing of Federal Student Loans (National Student Loan Data System - NSLDS) click here
HOURS: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM M-W, F; 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM Thursday
Our staff directs the loan collection efforts by educating and providing current, accurate information to students, former students, and parents regarding repayment obligations for the Perkins, Nursing, CIOS, and BRL loan programs while maintaining compliance with governmental regulations.
University Accounting Service (UAS)University Accounting Service is a company Baylor University has contracted to do the billing, payment processing, and management of student loans that are payable to Baylor. These loans are the Federal Perkins, Federal Nursing, and Baylor Institutional Loans (formerly known as Baylor Revolving Loans). Any email or correspondence you receive from UAS is legitimate, and you should respond accordingly. If you ignore the instructions, it could result in the release of a transcript being delayed, or unfavorable reporting to credit bureaus on the status of your loans. If you have any questions or would like further counseling in reference to your loans that are payable to Baylor University, please contact UAS at 1-800-999-6227 or online at www.uaservice.com. Please add the following email addresses to your safe sender's list, so you may receive important emails from UAS: [email protected], [email protected]
FERPA Form - FERPA stands for Family Education Rights Privacy ActIn order for the personnel in the Loan Collections Office to speak to anyone other than yourself in reference to any loan payable to Baylor University, we will need a separate FERPA Authorization Form completed and on file in our office. This release is different from the FERPA Form you may have already submitted for other purposes such as your Baylor Student Account, Financial Aid, Advising, or Academic Records. If you would like to give the staff in the Loan Collections Office permission to speak to someone other than yourself, in reference to the these loans, you may obtain and submit the appropriate FERPA Form by contacting the Loan Collections Office.
Exit InterviewThe Exit Interview is designed to inform borrowers of their rights and responsibilities for each loan. Upon leaving Baylor University, you will receive an email from UAS asking you to complete your Exit Interview for your loan(s). This is a Federal requirement and if you fail to complete your Exit Interview, requests for your transcripts may be denied until the process is finalized. You must complete an Exit Interview for each loan you have payable to Baylor University.
Loan Collection Transcript HoldThe Loan Collections Transcript Hold is placed on a student's account when he/she is awarded a Federal Perkins, a Federal Nursing, or a Baylor Institutional Loan, and the hold will remain on the account until the loan is paid in full. This does not mean we will not release a transcript. You may request a transcript using one of the following methods:
- In person at the Office of the Registrar
- You may fax a Transcript Request Form to 1-254-710-2233
- You may scan and email a Transcript Request Form to [email protected]
- You may mail in a Transcript Request Form to: Baylor University, Attn: Academic Records; One Bear Place #97068; Waco, TX 76798-7068
- You may contact the Loan Collections Office and request the Loan Collections Transcript Hold be lifted temporarily to allow you to request your transcript online.
The Loan Collections Transcript Hold triggers the following process each time you request a transcript:
- After you submit a request for an official copy of your transcript (via email, fax or in person), the Office of the Registrar checks for any holds and notifies the Loan Collections Office of the request for transcript if there is that type of hold. At that time, a staff member of the Loan Collection Office reviews your account. As long as you are in good standing with your loan accounts and have completed all of the required elements upon leaving the university, we instruct the Office of the Registrar to release your transcript for that request. This process will take place every time you request a transcript until the loan is paid in full.
- Some issues that could delay the release of a transcript are as follows:
- Past due amounts on the account
- Returned mail
- Exit Interview not complete (if needed at the time of request)
ResponsibilitiesIf you have any questions, comments, or updates regarding any of the following, please notify
the Loan Collection Office.
- It is your responsibility to notify the Loan Collection Office if you change your name, address, or Social Security number.
- You have the option to repay, interest free, all or part of your loan during any period in which repayment is not required. You may pay more than the required monthly amount in order to accelerate repayment, but you will be billed your next regularly scheduled payment.
- It is your responsibility to contact us prior to each payment if you can not make that payment for any reason.
- It is your responsibility to send us certified proof that you are eligible for deferment or cancellation benefits according to your promissory note(s).
- You are responsible for all costs that Baylor University incurs in trying to collect your loan.
- If you fail to make any of your payments when they are due, we can demand that you pay the entire unpaid balance of the loan, including interest that is due.
- Your account is reported to a National Credit Bureau.
- You must complete an Exit Interview when you leave Baylor (graduate, transfer, etc.) or are no longer on the loan program.
Loan TypesThe Federal Perkins Loan is at 5% interest and has a nine month grace period. The maximum repayment period is ten (10) years with a minimum payment of $40.00. With appropriate and timely proof, you may be eligible for cancellation of all or part of this loan as a result of:
- Law Enforcement/Corrections Officer/Public Defender
- Peace Corps/ACTION Program Volunteer
- U.S. Armed Services
- Nurse/Medical Technician providing health services
- Employment in Head Start Program or in a pre-kindergarten or child care program licensed or regulated by the state
- Full-time faculty at a Tribal College or University
- Teacher, librarian, or speech language pathologist in designated low income school
- Teacher of special education, including teachers of infants, toddlers, children, or youth with disabilities
- Provider of early intervention services
- Teacher of mathematics, science, foreign languages, bilingual education or other field of expertise determined by state education agency to have a shortage of qualified teachers
- Provider or supervisor of provision of services to high-risk children from low income communities and their families
- Full-time firefighter
With appropriate and timely proof you can have the repayment of your loan temporarily postponed while you are:
- Enrolled at least half-time student at an eligible college or university
- The mother of preschool age children and earning a certain income temporarily totally disabled
- Seeking but unable to find full time employment
- Experiencing an economic hardship as determined by the school
The Federal Nursing Student Loan is at 5% interest and has a nine month grace period. The maximum repayment period is ten (10) years with a minimum payment of $40.00. With appropriate and timely proof you can have the repayment of your loan temporarily postponed while you are:
- On active duty as a member of a uniformed service of the United States (for up to three years)
- A volunteer under the Peace Corps Act (for up to three years)
- Pursuing at least a half time course of study at a collegiate school of nursing leading to a baccalaureate degree in nursing or equivalent degree, or a graduate degree in nursing, or otherwise pursuing advanced professional training in nursing, or training to be a nurse anesthetist (for up to ten years).
The interest on the Baylor Institutional Loan/Baylor Bear Institutional Loan formerly known as the Baylor Revolving Loan must be paid each year to renew the demand note while attending Baylor University as at least a half time student. We will have you sign and have cosigned a new promissory note agreeing to monthly payments. The maximum repayment period is seven (7) years with a minimum payment of $45.00. This loan has no cancellation or deferment benefits. When you leave Baylor University, you should contact this office to obtain information on your loan repayment terms.
The Christ Is Our Salvation Loan is no longer available. This loan has a five (5) month grace period. The maximum repayment is five (5) years with a minimum payment of $50.00. If you fail to make timely payments a late charge may be assessed and interest at 6% per annum can be added to the remainder of your loan. This loan has no cancellation or deferment benefits. When you leave Baylor University you must contact this office to arrange monthly payments on this loan.
Contact InformationMAILING ADDRESS:
Attn: Loan Collection Office
One Bear Place #97051
Waco, TX 76798-7051