CSA Frequently Asked Questions

Who is defined as a Campus Security Authority?

Campus Security Authorities are identified by function, not title. The definition provided by the Clery Act is intentionally broad to include as many people as possible to ensure all crimes are reported. You cannot decline to be a CSA if your role fits the definition, you are a CSA.

The Act defines four general categories of CSAs:

1. University Police

2. Non-Police staff responsible for security (such as monitoring university property or entrances)

3. Institutional individuals/offices designated as a place someone should report crimes

4. Officials with significant responsibility for student and campus activities (e.g. Title IX, Dean of Students, Human Resources, Faculty who travel abroad with students, etc.)

What are the responsibilities of a CSA?

Campus Security Authorities are federally mandated to forward reports of crime brought to their attention. The party reporting the crime does not need to be University-affiliated and the report does not have to lead to police involvement.

  1. Accurately report crime information to the correct people in a timely manner
  2. Support the individual sharing the experience and provide them with options and resources

What are NOT the responsibilities of a Campus Security Authority?

  1. Determining if a crime took place
  2. Finding and apprehending the alleged perpetrator
  3. Convincing the victim to contact law enforcement

You do not have to be an expert on Clery; simply report information to the best of your understanding.

How do I report a crime?

If a person reveals they have been involved in an incident that might involve a crime, (reportable or otherwise) contact the Baylor University Police at 254-710-2222. Reporting a crime to the police does not mean charges must be filed; instead, it allows for discussion of options and helps the University obtain accurate information for statistical reporting. It is important that information is reported as soon as possible so it may be evaluated to determine if an immediate notification should be issued to students, faculty, and staff regarding the criminal activity. Timely warnings may be disseminated to communicate Clery crimes and safety tips to the community for situations that may present an ongoing threat.  

CSA Incident Report forms to aid in recording important details for statistical information and can be located and filled out from the link provided: https://www.baylor.edu/dps/index.php?id=973117

If you don't have all the information please submit what you do have.

What Crimes are Clery reportable crimes?

CSAs are obligated to forward reports of Clery Act qualifying crimes that occurred on Clery reportable geography, however, you are encouraged to promptly relay all reports of crime to the appropriate University officials.

Criminal Offenses required to be disclosed are Criminal Homicide (including Murder, Non-negligent Manslaughter, and Manslaughter by Negligence), Sexual Assault, (including Rape, Fondling, Incest, and Statutory Rape), Robbery, Aggravated Assault, Burglary, Motor Vehicle Theft, and Arson.

VAWA (Violence Against Woman Act) Offenses required to be disclosed are Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. These crimes are reportable even if the victim does not consider themselves to be a victim.

Arrests and Referrals for Disciplinary Action required to be disclosed are liquor law violations, drug law violations and/or illegal weapon possession.

Hate Crimes required to be disclosed are Criminal Homicide (including Murder, Non-negligent Manslaughter and Manslaughter by Negligence), Sexual Assault (including Rape, Fondling, Incest and Statutory Rape), Robbery, Aggravated Assault, Burglary, Motor Vehicle Theft, Arson, Larceny-Theft, Simple Assault, Intimidation, or Destruction/Damage/Vandalism of Property that were motivated by bias.

What is Clery Geography?

  • On-campus
    • Property owned or controlled by Baylor, including Student Housing (core campus, areas within one mile of the campus border)
  • Non-campus
    • Baylor owned or controlled properties that are used in direct support of, or in relation to  the institution’s educational purposes and are not contiguous to the main campus (includes trips, foreign locations, etc. that meet specific criteria)
  • Public property
    • Areas going through or directly adjacent to campus.