University Research Administrators
University Research Administrators (URA) offers Principal Investigators a range of services designed to streamline, standardize, and facilitate grant acquisition and administration through a network of administrators assigned to specific academic units.
- Ensure compliance with institutional and sponsor-specific policies
- Assist with the development of the administrative components of a proposal, including budget, budget justification, biosketches, etc.
- Coordinate the routing and submission process with the Pre-Award Office
- Serve as the primary liaison between PIs and the Pre-Award Office, ensure timeliness of submission, and communicate internal and external deadlines
- Facilitate the communication of award terms and conditions, status of award review (if applicable), and other relevant updates to PIs
- Review awarded budget modifications, compliance documentation, Just-in-Time (JIT) requests, etc.
Award Set Up
- Support the award set up process in the financial system
- Review the established award in the financial system for accuracy and submit requests to the Pre- and Post-Award Offices, as needed
Subcontract Initiation and Monitoring
- Identify the need for a subcontract
- Monitor active subcontracts to ensure programmatic progress and compliance
- Review subcontract invoices for accuracy and address questions regarding payment
- Submit requests to the Pre- and Post-Award Offices for project changes, prior approvals, etc.
- Submit requests for award extensions, revisions, etc. to the Pre- and Post-Award Offices
- Serve as the primary liaison between PIs and the Pre- and Post-Award Offices to ensure timeliness of submission for all relevant documentation and communicate deadlines
- Advise PIs and the Post-Award Office of cost share commitments and potential risks
- Monitor and track all cost share commitments through the life of the award to ensure commitments are met
- Develop and submit cost transfer requests and documentation in coordination with PIs
- Ensure cost transfers have been correctly processed and follow up with the Post-Award Office as needed
- Conduct limited post-audit review of research purchases as a part of monthly reconciliation processes to ensure expenses are allowable and allocable
- Review and approve proposed payroll allocations for available budget and allowability
Award Balance Monitoring
- Generate and review monthly financial reports of all sponsored activities with PIs
- Monitor award budgets to expenses and advise PIs accordingly (e.g. burn rate, budget/expense forecasting, etc.)
- Review grant financials prior to the submission of sponsor-required financial reports
- Communicate effort policies to PIs and research staff, including impact of variances (e.g. >25% effort changes), if they occur
- Partner with PIs to distribute and track the effort reporting and certification process
- Notify PIs of outstanding residuals and/or deficits and coordinate the closeout process with the Post-Award Office
- Ensure all appropriate expenditures and cost transfers are posted before internal closeout deadlines (e.g. 60-days after an award end date)
- Provide guidance to PIs regarding the use of designated funds (for payroll and non-payroll expenses) when sponsored accounts are not appropriate
602 St. James Street, Suite 302
Waco, Texas 76706
University Research Administrators
One Bear Place #97360
Waco, Texas 76798
Not sure who to contact?
Find your contact