The Office of the Vice Provost for Research assists the Provost in setting annual goals and stretch goals for research activities. These goals include benchmarks for the number of proposal submissions, research award dollars, and externally funded research expenditures.
Stretch goals are set beyond normal expectations and provide a secondary goal to work toward at the high end of the range for the activity if the original goal is achieved. For 2022, our faculty generally met or exceeded all of the established goals and stretch goals as shown in the following charts, including:
- An increase in the average dollar amount per proposal from $235,000 in 2017 to $447,000 in 2022
- A 10 percent increase in the percentage of federal proposal submissions
- More than doubling award funding over the last year to $62.8 million
- Increasing federally funded research expenditures by 48 percent
- Continued growth in life science expenditures and human subjects research
This success demonstrates the excellence of Baylor faculty and institutional alignment in pursuing and achieving meaningful research expansion.