Event Planning Resources
From receptions to dinners - from lectures to conferences, many academic departments host events. The following information may help you plan your next event.
Institutional Events - Whether you are planning a luncheon for 10 or a conference for 1,000, start by calling Institutional Events. Call them first and you may not need to call anyone else.
They can coordinate, among other things:
- Reserving rooms
- Housekeeping Services
- A/V and Technical Services
- Equipment (easels, podiums, etc.)
- Accommodations for speakers and guests
- Décor & Aesthetics
- Catering & Food Services
- Print and electronic invitations
- Tables/Chairs and room set-up
Selecting a date - To help avoid date conflicts, consult the University Calendar, this will give you an idea of what is happening on campus, especially major events. (Be aware, however, that the calendar is not a complete list of all scheduled events at Baylor.) To post your own event on the calendar see below, "Publicizing your event".
Reserving a room/space - There are many rooms and spaces at Baylor which you may want to consider for your events, and they are managed by many different offices. Institutional Events can provide you with a spreadsheet of possible rooms and spaces and the appropriate contact people.
AV needs/technical assistance: Different rooms have different AV capabilities; check with the person in charge of the room for details. Institutional Events can help you with other AV needs and technical assistance.
After hours room use, locking schedule, carpet cleaning etc., Notify Rose Provost with housekeeping if you have needs in any of these areas. Telephone: 710-3960, One Bear Place #97214
Tables and chairs/Room set-up - When you reserve a room, find out if they provide set up for tables and chairs. If the venue does not, you can order tables and chairs and get assistance with room set-up by submitting a work-order through facilities services or you can call 254-710-1361. Table cloths do not automatically come with the tables. Order table cloths from Catering Services.
Decorations - There are a few fire and safety policies of which you need to be aware in planning for your decorations; particularly if you are planning to use candles or tall items such as Christmas trees. The Holiday and Event Guidelines document should be helpful in planning your decorations. If you have additional questions regarding safety and policies related to decorations, contact the Office of Risk Management for more information.
Catering - According to Baylor policy, any event scheduled on Baylor campus or using University funds should be serviced through Baylor catering: Catering . If you don't see what you want on one of the standard menus, or if you just want a little more personal consultation, don't hesitate to contact any of the catering staff. They are very accommodating.
Accommodations for Speakers/Guests - If you have speakers, dignitaries or other guests coming in for your event who need accommodations, Baylor has a few guest rooms and apartments available on a first come, first serve basis: Guest Housing.
Payment for Speakers - For information about how to correctly pay a speaker, please contact Accounts Payable
Publicizing your event: There are many ways you may want to publicize your event:
- Posting it on the university calendar and publicizing it on Baylor's website - Your web site manager can post your event online. If your department needs assistance with using Baylor's web management systems to publish an event, please contact your departmentconsultant for additional help with advertising your event on your website.
- Printing needs - invitations, name tags, pocket folders, printed campus maps. For any printing needs, including invitations, you can contactPrinting Procurement. They keep printed stock items on hand for purchase. A list of inventory/stock items available for purchase as well as a list of printing vendors can be found on the procurement website.
- Posters, brochures, etc. - If you want help creating professional posters, brochures and other publicity pieces for your event contact University Marketing and Brand Strategy/Marketing and Communications.
Parking - For information about visitor parking passes and other parking issues related to your event.
Security: If you believe your event has a security related need, contact Baylor Department of Public Safety or you may call 710-2222 to review the nature of the event.
Tours of campus - Campus tours are arranged through the office of campus visits. For more information see the following website: Visits/Admissions
Other handy information -
- Campus Map>
- If you follow the links on the Campus Map website, you will be able to identify parking locations for faculty/staff and visitors.