Resources and Budgets
Resources for Chairs
- Managing Your Budget
Here is a list of key contact people.
Deans and Chairs 2019-2020
Advice To A New Department Chair
An article from the October 7, 2008 issue of The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Class Scheduling Responsibilities:
- Schedule classes in a way that allows majors to complete departmental requirements in a timely fashion
- Balance student demand and departmental and/or university resources when scheduling classes
- Work with other departments in scheduling an adequate number of sections to meet degree requirements for their students
- Schedule classes for each term, distributed throughout the day and week to allow flexibility in students' schedules
- Submit class schedules for each semester according to the timeline set by the Registrar
- Manage class size appropriate for the type of course.
- Approve teaching assignments for individual faculty and assign classrooms appropriate for each section
- Work with registrar and/or advisors to balance class sizes across sections appropriate to the nature of the class, the size of the room, and the resources available in the room
- Use ChairSIS to change the maximum seats available in a class
- Establish a departmental procedure for permitting students into a closed class
- Encourage faculty to follow bookstore procedures and timeline when ordering course materials
Where to go for help:
- Registrar -- The Registrar can offer assistance with class scheduling and course listings.
- The Office of the Provost -- The Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education can offer assistance with curriculum planning and procedures.
- Information Technology Services -- The various IT Systems such as Banner, ChairSIS, PAWS and many others are described here. The website also explains how you can get access to these systems.
Managing Your Budget
- Ignite is the system for Budget and Human Resources. The Ignite website will help you with answers to most of your budget and HR questions.
- Ignite Campus Roles is a list of those who will perform specific activities within the system. These are not new positions, but may be a realignment of existing responsibilities. You can learn more about the responsibilities of these roles and see who is filling some of these roles on the website. You can also see who is filling these roles in each school or division.