November 16, 2017
Baylor Students, Faculty and Staff:
"Enter His gates with thanksgiving, and His courts with praise. Give thanks to Him; bless His name." – Psalm 100:4
As we look toward Thanksgiving Day next week, I am reminded by this verse that we should thank the Lord for His goodness and love in all things. Here at Baylor, we are supremely blessed to be at such an outstanding academic institution with a steadfast commitment to our Christian mission. We have much to be thankful for, and we offer up our praise and thanksgiving!
Here are a few noteworthy items for this week:
- Thank you to the more than 200 of our faculty and staff members who attended the inaugural Baylor Conversation Series last week. Chair of the Board Joel T. Allison, Interim Provost Michael K. McLendon and I enjoyed the dialogue and questions about Baylor's future. We will host a second Conversation for the Waco community this Monday from 5:30-7 p.m. on the 5th floor of the Cashion Academic Center before touring several key cities within the state and across the country in 2018.
- I want to remind faculty and staff that tomorrow is the deadline for input on the qualities necessary for Baylor’s next Provost. We also are accepting nominations for the position as well as for individuals to serve on the search committee. Faculty and staff should have received a link to the confidential survey via email. It should take no more than five minutes to complete.
- I enjoyed watching a Lariat TV segment on the research of Dr. David Jack, professor of mechanical engineering, who is developing a portable scanning device that examines the structural integrity of composite parts in airplanes. Dr. Jack's laboratory was the first in the Baylor Research and Innovation Collaborative (BRIC) facility under direction of the Office of the Vice Provost for Research.
- Baylor's undergraduate entrepreneurship program within the Hankamer School of Business has been ranked No. 9 nationally by The Princeton Review and Entrepreneur magazine. Over the past five years, Baylor students in the John F. Baugh Center for Entrepreneurship and Free Enterprise have started 280 companies while collectively raising $50 million in external funding.
- And more good news to share: Baylor Law School is again No. 1 among Texas law schools in the state's bar exam passage rate. Baylor students passed the July bar exam at a 92.92 percent rate, securing the top spot for 21 of the past 33 bar exams given.
- November is National Adoption Month, and tonight from 6-8 p.m., Baylor will host an informational seminar regarding adoption and foster care at the Mayborn Museum. Attendees will hear about the process, eligibility requirements, timeframe and costs, as well as information on waiting children both here in the United States and abroad. This is another example of why Baylor received designation as a Best Adoption Friendly Workplace by the Dave Thomas Foundation earlier this year.
I hope to see everyone at McLane Stadium on Saturday for Senior Day as we take on Iowa State. With next Thursday being Thanksgiving Day, I will not send a Presidential Perspective next week. First Gent Brad, Shelby and I are looking forward to spending our first Thanksgiving together in Allbritton House with family and friends, and of course, our puppy, BU.
My prayer is for everyone to have a bountiful, restful and safe Thanksgiving!
Linda A. Livingstone, Ph.D.
Are you looking for more News?