Requirements for Applying to Our Program
For admission to the department’s graduate programs, an applicant must present:
1. A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university either in political science or a field relevant to the applicant’s program of study.
2. An overall GPA and a Graduate Record (GRE) General Test examination score predictive of success in the program.
3. Three letters of recommendation, preferably from teachers or those who know the applicant's academic work.
4. A “statement of purpose," describing the applicant's major area of intellectual interest and explaining how the degree sought facilitates the applicant’s academic and professional goals (1-2 pages). The statement should express areas of academic/research interests that are compatible with those of our graduate faculty.
5. A writing sample (e.g., an undergraduate paper of 10-12 pages).
*Admission and financial aid for our PhD program are very competitive. Average GRE scores of all the doctoral students are 96th percentile.
*Decisions about admissions and financial aid will, in each case, be based on evaluation of these materials as a whole.
Applicants wishing to be considered for financial awards beginning in the Fall 2022 semester must submit a complete application by December 20; Spring 2022 applicants must apply by September 20 and will be admitted on a space-available basis and without funding.
The applicant must have issuing institutions send all transcripts and standardized test scores to the Graduate School.
The applicant must pay an admission fee to the Graduate School.
The applicant must have three letters of recommendation sent to the Graduate School.