Student Employee

Student Payroll Guide

I. Prerequisites for working at Baylor

Before a student employee reports for the first day of work, including orientation or training, the student must complete section one the Department of Homeland Security’s Form I-9 online, then present acceptable original forms of identification (unexpired) for proof of eligibility to work. Students may present their identification to Human Resources, located in the Clifton Robinson Tower Suite 200, to complete section two of this form.   

II. Types of Student Employees (as classified under the Fair Labor Standards Act)
  • Exempt- Paid monthly and no timecard entries required
  • Non-Exempt-Timecard entries required to be submitted every 2 weeks.

Types of exempt student employee

  1. Graduate Assistant (GA)- 10 or 12 month 
  2. Graduate Student Monthly (GSEM)- 10 or 12 month
  • Example of exempt work:
    • A graduate student who is employed as teacher of record for a single course.
    • A graduate student who is employed to conduct research under the direction of a faculty member.
    • A graduate student who is employed in an athletics coaching assignment.

Schedule of monthly pay dates click here.

Types of non-exempt student employee

  1. Graduate Student Biweekly (GSEB)
  2. Work-study program; Federal and University

Schedule of bi-weekly pay dates click here.

III. New International Graduate and Work-Study Students
Graduate and work-study students:
  • Must complete information in the Foreign National Information System (FNIS).
  • Complete the I-9 form in the Human Resources Office (RT 200)
  • Must have a Social Security card, or apply for one if you do not already have one.
IV. W-4 and Direct Deposit

Once the job assignment is set up and the student has access to Ignite, a W-4 and direct deposit information will need to be completed. See the W-4 Quick Reference Guide for instructions on updating your Federal and state withholding information. See the Direct Deposit Quick Reference Guide for instructions on updating your direct deposit information.

V. Returning students

If your employment at Baylor University is being continued from the previous semester, your I-9 and W-4 forms will not have to be completed again.

If it has been more than a year since you have been employed at Baylor University, please contact the Human Resources Office (254-710-2000) in the Clifton Robinson Tower Suite 200, to complete a new I-9 form.