Service/Emotional Support Animal Accommodation Request

A service animal is (typically) a dog who has been trained to help with a specific documented disability and service dogs are covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). 

If a student is authorized to bring a service animal to class, you should receive an OALA accommodation letter from our office listing “Service Animal” as an accommodation.  If a student brings their animal to class and you have not been informed, you may ask the student to leave. If they claim it is a service animal, you can ask them only two questions (see flowchart attached) OR refer them to our office.

Dogs or other animals whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA, and don’t have the same public access rights. They are, however, permitted in residential housing. Emotional support animals are not allowed in the classrooms, academic buildings or other facilities on campus. 

In order to register an emotional support animal, students will need to fill out the Service/Emotional Support Animal Application (attached) and provide medical documentation supporting their ESA request. Please see our documentation guidelines here.

You may not bring an animal to your residence hall until all the paperwork has been received, processed and approved. The process may take up to 10 days once our office receives all the required paperwork.