Pre-nursing students, as well as prospective students, are responsible to stay up-to-date on admissions policies to learn how any changes may affect their eligibility. This webiste, as well as the academic catalog will be updated in a timely manner to provide accurate admission criteria.
- Minimum scores of 80 on each of the HESI A2 Math and English Composite portions are required to be eligible to apply to the nursing program.
- The HESI A2 exam may only be taken once during each admission period. HESI A2 scores cannot be pieced together.
Required Sections to complete:
English Composite (Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary, and General Knowledge and Grammar)
Learning Styles Inventory
Personality Styles Inventory
Not Required: Any science section
- HESI A2 scores must be received directly from the Baylor University Testing Center or Evolve. Please see the HESI A2 Information page for more information on submitting scores and registering for the exam.
- All students must have completed 44 of the 66 prerequisite hours (or 2/3 of the needed courses) to apply to the undergraduate nursing programs. For more information, please refer to the Transfer admission requirements, the Baylor University Pre-Nursing admission requirements, or the FastBacc admission requirements for additional information specific to the program of interest.
- A minimum prerequisite GPA of 3.0 is required to be eligible to apply to the nursing program.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.5 is required for all undergraduate courses at the time of admission for transfer students.
- When factoring a student's prerequisite GPA for admissions purposes, the most recent grades (not necessarily the best) must be counted.
- Minimum grade of C in each prerequisite course is required. Grades of D or F will be factored into a student's prerequisite GPA UNTIL a replacement grade is available. For example, a grade of F cannot be omitted even if a student has plans to take the course again or is currently taking the course but has not completed it at the time of application.
- Applicants may only repeat a course one time. Only the most recent course grade will count for admissions purposes. Students who fail the same prerequisite course twice are not eligible to apply.* There are no expiration dates for failures.
*Students with extenuating circumstances may petition the Director of Student Services for a review of transcripts and consideration for eligibility to apply for admission. The Director will review the request and make a recommendation to the Admissions Committee. The Admissions Committee will make a recommendation to the Dean, who will make the final decision.
- Withdrawal with a grade of "W" is not equivalent to failure. A grade of "WF" at BU is equivalent to failing.
- Courses taken at Baylor for which the grade is "C": The course may be repeated only if permission is granted by the appropriate academic dean. (p. 41 in 2012-2013 Baylor University Catalog)
- Students who are currently on academic probation at the institution at which they are enrolled will not be eligible for application.
- Students will not be allowed to register for the following semester if all official transcripts of prerequisite work taken elsewhere are not on file with Baylor.
- Transfer students are considered for admission to the traditional undergraduate BSN track for Spring semester admission.
- Transfer students can receive credit by exam according to Baylor University policy (2012-2013 Catalog, p. 17) rather than their native institution's policy. Please refer to the Baylor University Credit by Exam website to compare score requirements. However, post-baccalaureate students who received credit by exam at a previous regionally-accredited institution may transfer that credit to fulfill the prerequisite course requirements.
- Acceptance to the School of Nursing is term specific. Students are not granted automatic deferment of acceptance.
- Pre-nursing students, as well as prospective students, are responsible for reviewing the nursing school website and student catalog and scheduling advising appointments on a regular basis to learn about any changes in admission policy and how the changes may affect their eligibility. The university website, as well as the academic catalog will be updated in a timely manner to provide accurate admission criteria.
- Students wishing to be reinstated into the Pre-Nursing major after academic dismissal must complete the Pre-Nursing Reinstatement Form in its entirety and submit all appropriate documents as outlined on form. Please note: this process is for students that are completing prerequisite courses on the Baylor University campus in Waco, TX only.
- Students who are dismissed for academic reasons from the Louise Herrington School of Nursing will not be eligible for readmission for three (3) academic years. The readmission application must meet all admission requirements stated in the academic catalog that are current when the application is submitted. (Please see p. 304 in the 2013-2014 Baylor University Catalog for more information).