Requesting to Change to the Pre-Nursing Major for Current Baylor Students
Requests to change to Pre-nursing from another major will be held until all grades are in for a given semester.
To change to Pre-Nursing, current Baylor students must meet the following criteria:
- Have a minimum 2.75 nursing science GPA
- Must take the HESI A2 exam and earn a minimum of a 90 on both the Math and English Composite sections.
- The HESI A2 exam may only be taken once during each semester, with a maximum of three attempts. A 60 day waiting period is required between tests
- There is a fee associated with the required testing.
- For more information, please visit www.baylor.edu/irt/hesi.
- IF minimum score is not achieved, must complete 2 of 4 pre-nursing sciences with a 2.75 nursing science GPA and achieve minimum HESI scores of 80 on both the Math and English Composite sections.
- Have not exceeded the retake policy:
- May repeat a required pre-nursing course only once.
- May repeat no more than two pre-nursing courses.
Students who are approved to change to the Pre-nursing major must follow all policies of the current catalog at the time they change.
Process for Requesting to Change Major
For students interested in changing their major to Pre-nursing:
- In BearWeb go to Student Academic Services > Student Records > Change of Major Request and fill out the form. More information can be found here.
- You must schedule a meeting with the Pre-Nursing Coordinator, Kyle Pyron, Kyle_Pyron@baylor.edu
- After communicating with the Pre-nursing Coordinator, if you still want to change your major, your major will officially be changed once final grades for the semester are available and you have met the required criteria, including taking the HESI A2 exam.
- While you await an opportunity to take HESI A2 exam, your major will be changed to Undecided and you will meet with an advisor to create a plan that aligns with the Pre-nursing curriculum.
Please note your major will not be changed until you have communicated with the Pre-nursing Coordinator to discuss the possible change of major.
Common questions for students considering changing to the Pre-nursing major:
What are the classes a Pre-nursing student takes?
Our 4-year Major Academic Planner (MAP) for the BSN degree can be found here.
Other admission requirements to be officially admitted into the Louise Herrington School of Nursing include:
Baylor University students wishing to apply to LHSON must be in good standing; classified as a PNU2; and must meet the following admission criteria:
- 43 of the 59 prerequisite course hours completed
- 2 of the 4 prerequisite science courses completed (8 hours) with a minimum science GPA of 2.75
- 3.0 minimum GPA of completed prerequisite courses
- 2.5 minimum cumulative Baylor GPA
- HESI A2 Exam requirements
* English Composite
Formal application to the School of Nursing is required through NursingCas. Application deadlines for the Traditional Program are January 15 for fall admission and July 15 for spring admission. Acceptance to the School of Nursing is term specific. Students are not granted automatic deferment of acceptance.
Can I receive a prerequisite override to register for Pre-nursing only courses during early registration?
Students who are not pre-nursing will not be given prerequisite overrides to register for NUR 1101. To register for this course a student must officially be changed to pre-nursing. Students will have to wait to modify their schedules at the end of the term should they meet the requirements to officially be changed to nursing.
If you have any further questions regarding this change of major information, please e-mail Kyle Pyron, Kyle_Pyron@baylor.edu