Shelby L. Garner, PhD, RN, CNE, FAAN
Tenured Associate Professor
PhD Texas Woman's University, Denton, Texas
MSN University of Phoenix, Phoenix, Arizona
BSN Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, Texas
Dr. Garner is an Associate Professor at Baylor University Louise Herrington School of Nursing. Dr. Garner’s primary research interest involves building nurse and health system capacity in India through the adaptation, design and testing of innovative technologies to transform health education and improve patient care. To view Dr. Garner's faculty spotlight video on "Improving Health Outcomes Globally Through Innovative Technology in mHealth Design," click here. Please click here to read the story entitled, Baylor Researchers Awarded Grant to Develop Diabetes Mobile Health App for Use in India.
Dr. Garner teaches Consumer of Research in the undergraduate program and Servant Leadership in the graduate program. Dr. Garner has a passion for mentoring students through the research process and has supported student research presentations at local, national, and international forums such as the National Conference for Undergraduate Research.
* $525,693. US Agency for International Development (USAID) American Schools and Hospitals Abroad (ASHA). Funding to build a Living and Learning Centre with Smart Classrooms. 2018-2023.
* $900,000: US Agency for International Development (USAID) American Schools and Hospitals Abroad (ASHA). Funding to build a Women’s and Children’s Healthcare and Research Centre in Bengaluru, India.
* $99,677: US India Education Foundation (USIEF) 21st Century Knowledge Initiative Grant to develop a mobile health application on diabetes for use in rural villages and urban slums in India. 2018-2020.
* $652,800: US Agency for International Development (USAID) American Schools and Hospitals Abroad (ASHA). Funding to construct the Simulation Education and Research Center for Nursing Excellence in Bengaluru, India. 2015-2019.
* USIEF Fulbright-Nehru Research Academic and Professional Research FlexGrant: Evaluating the Impact of Simulation use in Nursing Curricula in Bengaluru, India. 2016-2018.
* $2000: Texas Organization for Baccalaureate and Graduate Nursing Education (TOBGNE). Excellence in Research Grant. Perceived Strategies to Increase Retention Rates among Nurses in India. 2014.
View Publications on MedLine
* Koch, H., Green, G., Mahid, Z., Garner, S. L., Hitchcock, J., George, C., and Young, P. (2019, in press). “mHealth collaboration for social good: Lessons on adaptability, "in Impacts of Information Technology on Patient Care and Empowerment, Roger W. McHaney, Iris Reychav, Joseph Azuri, Mark E. McHaney, Rami Moshonov, (eds.). Hershey, PA: IGI Global, 2019.
* HESI comprehensive review for the NCLEX RN examination (2013, 2016). (4th & 5th ed.). St. Louis: Elsevier Publishing.
* One of four authors for this textbook that aims to prepare students for the NCLEX-RN exam. Major contributions to this text included authorship of over 100 NCLEX style test questions.
* 2022 Inducted as a Fellow in the American Academy of Nursing
* 2022 Hayden Vanguard Lectureship awarded by INACSL (International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation and Learning) and CAE Healthcare as Keynote Speaker: An Innovative International Collaboration to Build a Program of Nursing Simulation Education and Research in India.
* 2022 Elizabeth Vardaman Award for Excellence in Mentoring Undergraduates in Research. Baylor University.
* 2018 Excellence in Educational Research Award, awarded by the Sigma Theta Tau International/Chamberlain College of Nursing Center for Excellence in Nursing Education. Award winner announced July 19th, 2018 at the 29th International Research Congress Sigma Theta Tau International, Melbourne, Australia.
* Dallas-Fort Worth Great 100 Nurses 2017 Award.
* Baylor University Outstanding Professor for Research (Tenure Track). All University Award. 2015-2016.
* Baylor University Office of the Vice President for Research Rising Stars Program. 2015-2017.