National High School Organ Competition
Saturday, November 4, 2023
For the first time ever, Baylor University School of Music is pleased to announce the National High School Organ Competition, which provides an opportunity for talented young organists to gain valuable performance experience and recognition. The 2023 Competition will be held in Truett Seminary’s Powell Chapel. Contestants will rehearse and perform on its Létourneau Organ (III/54).
First Prize: $1,000 (in memory of Dr. Joyce Jones)
Second Prize: $500 (sponsored by Létourneau Pipe Organs)
- Entry documents and fee (see below) must be submitted by September 15, 2023. Entry fees are non-refundable once a contestant has been selected.
- A maximum of 10 contestants will be admitted. If more applications are received, the jury will pre-select based on resume, repertoire list, letter of recommendation and selected repertoire. Candidates will be notified if they are selected by September 20, 2023.
- Contestants must be willing to perform as early as 8:00 a.m. Scheduling will not permit consideration of distance from Waco.
- Contestants will each get a minimum of 60 minutes rehearsal time on the Létourneau Organ on Friday, November 3. Scheduling will not permit consideration of distance from Waco.
- Additional practice organs will be available in the McCrary Music Building on November 3rd and 4th.
- Entrants should report to the registration desk 30 minutes prior to their assigned rehearsal and performance times. An unmarked, published copy of the music must be provided for the judges. Photocopies are not acceptable.
- Prizewinners will be announced at approximately 2:30 p.m. in Truett Seminary. Contestants will receive critique sheets from the judges.
- All junior and senior high school students are eligible.
- Repertoire: One free piece by Johann Sebastian Bach (excluding BWV 553–560) and one contrasting piece by a composer from any other period.
- Memorization is not required. An assistant for page turning will be provided if needed; contestants are required to change pistons themselves.
- The stoplist of the Létourneau Organ is available at: https://www.letourneauorgans.com/organs/opus-89
- Travel and accommodation expenses will not be reimbursed; contestants must make their own travel arrangements.
(Both steps must be completed by September 15, 2023.)
- Fill out the application and submit your entry fee of $35.
- Email your resume and repertoire list and one letter of recommendation to Jens_Korndoerfer@baylor.edu.
Questions? Contact Dr. Jens Korndörfer, incoming Associate Professor of Organ, at Jens_Korndoerfer@baylor.edu.