Band Activities (CTYWE)
Central Texas Youth Wind Ensemble
The Central Texas Wind Ensemble is under the direction of Dr. David Montgomery. Dr. Montgomery is Associate Professor of Music Education at Baylor University. Prior to his appointment at Baylor he served as Associate Director of Bands at Western Michigan University from 2004-2018.
For questions, or more information, about the CTYWE contact Dr. Montgomery at David_Montgomery@Baylor.edu.
- To provide an artistic experience of the highest musical caliber to high school students in the central Texas region.
- To promote community and build musical connections and relationships among participants.
- To contribute to musical growth of participating students and their band programs.
Membership in the Central Texas Youth Wind Ensemble is open to all high school band students in the central Texas area. In order to participate, students must be a member in good standing of their high school band. Homeschool students are also welcome.
Membership is determined by audition.
Auditions consist of the following:
- A prepared solo of your own choosing that demonstrates your technical and musical abilities. Length of solo should be 2-3 minutes.
- Percussion- 2-3 minutes of excerpts demonstrating your best playing on snare, mallet percussion and timpani.
- Sight reading.
Audition Dates and Registration
Auditions are held in McCrary Music Building at Baylor University on the following dates:
- Sunday, December 8, 2019 6:30-8:30pm
- Monday, December 9, 2019 6:30-8:30pm
Students may choose either date, not both, to audition.
In addition to registering to audition, students should complete the following supplemental forms and bring them to the audition.
- Membership in High School Band Confirmation.
- Multimedia Release and Schedule Acknowledgement.
- Release and Indemnity Agreement.
Rehearsal and Performance Calendar
Rehearsals for the CTYWE are on Sunday afternoons from 1-2:30pm in McCrary Music Building room 118 at Baylor University unless otherwise noted. Rehearsals will be on the following dates:
- January 19
- January 26
- February 2
- February 9
- February 16
- February 23 (rehearsal time on this date is TBA and may be in the evening)
- March 1 (rehearsal is as normally scheduled; concert to follow at 3pm)
Concert is Sunday, March 1 at 3pm in Jones Hall in McCrary Music Building at Baylor University.
Rehearsal time is very limited. Attendance at every rehearsal is expected. If there is a need to be absent you must contact Dr. Montgomery as timely as possible. Any student who misses more than 1 rehearsal may be dismissed from the ensemble, without a refund, and not allowed to perform on the concert.
Tuition for the CTYWE is $100 per student. Tuition is due at the first rehearsal. Make checks payable to Baylor University.
Families who have more than one student in CTYWE should contact the Director for a discount after the first child.