Ensemble Audition Information
This page contains information for music-majors and current Baylor students. Audition and placement information for incoming students who are non-music majors is available here.
Bands and Orchestras
Instrumental Audition Information and Excerpts
- for Baylor Symphony, Wind Ensemble, Campus Orchestra, and Symphonic Band
- Fall 2023 Audition Materials will be posted in late-July 2023
- Auditions occur during Welcome Week (August 17-19)
- Contact Eric Wilson (bands) or Miguel Harth-Bedoya (orchestras) if you have any questions.
Jazz Audition Information and Excerpts
- for Jazz Ensemble and Concert Jazz Ensemble
- Excerpts will be added in late-July 2023
- Contact Alex Parker if you have any questions.
Concert Band - No Audition Required.
Marching Band - Details on the Golden Wave Marching Band site
Contact the applied professor of your instrument to be considered.
Fall 2023 Choir Audition Information:
Students can audition for ensemble placement virtually (May) or in person (August). Those who wish to secure their choir placement prior to creating their schedule of classes should plan to audition virtually. This path requires an audio recording of a vocal solo (1-2 minutes) without accompaniment and a scheduled meeting (7 minutes) with the choral faculty for sight-singing and aural skills.
All are welcome to wait until the fall to audition in person if that is preferable. The audition requirements will be the same. All students, regardless of audition modality, should submit a Baylor Choral Audition Form. Auditions will take place in the McCrary Music Building August 18th and 19th, 2023.
Each student should plan on the following for their auditions:
- 1-2 minutes of a vocal solo that highlights your voice (simple song is fine)
- Brief sight-singing exercise
- Aural pattern retention
If you have questions, feel free to contact us at Music_Admit@baylor.edu. You can also visit us at Baylor Choirs for more information.
2023-2024 Auditions for A Cappella Choir and Chamber Singers have already taken place. If you have interest in these ensembles, please directly contact individual faculty directors.
Bella Voce, VirtuOSO (sophomores → graduate students, including transfers):
Fall 2023 Auditions for Bella Voce and VirtuOSO have already taken place. Additional auditions may take place during Welcome Week, just prior to the start of the fall semester. Please contact individual directors for questions regarding these ensembles.
The Early Music Ensembles are open to all members of the student body by audition. No previous experience in early repertoire is required.
Contact Bob Avant for details.
Contact Dr. Scott McAllister for details.
- Must enroll in Opera Workshop (MUEN 1104) to be considered for casting
- Those who wish to volunteer to work backstage are not required to register for the class, but must be available during the scheduled class time and rehearsals.
- Those who want to sing in the opera chorus do not need to audition; just register for the course. Without an audition you will not be considered for named roles.
- this option only applies when there is a chorus in the upcoming opera.
- Non-graduating students must audition in the spring for the following year’s productions.
- Auditions for spring performances are held at the end of fall semester for anyone who has not auditioned previously.
- Incoming Graduate Students: Your graduate audition can count for your opera audition as well, so long as the audition happens prior to casting.
- Singers will present two selections:
- one aria or art song in a foreign language
- one in English (The English selection can be an aria, art song or musical theater)
- A pianist will be provided at the audition
- the student must provide clean, 3-hole punched, copies of their music in a 3 ring binder for the pianist
- There is always a potential for callbacks
Contact the Director of Opera if you have any questions.
Baylor Percussion Group
Contact Dr. Todd Meehan.