Choral ConductingUndergraduate Programs with Choral Conducting Coursework:
B.M. Church Music
B.M.E. Choral Music Education
Graduate Programs with Choral Conducting Emphasis:
M.M. Church Music
M.M. Conducting, Choral Emphasis
For more information regarding Choral Conducting at Baylor, contact our team:
Lynne Gackle, Professor of Ensembles, Director of Choral Activities (Lynne_Gackle@baylor.edu)
• Courses: Undergraduate/Graduate Choral Literature, Graduate Applied Lessons
• Ensembles: Concert Choir and Bella Voce
Brian A. Schmidt, Associate Professor of Choral Music (Brian_Schmidt@baylor.edu)
• Courses: Graduate Applied Lessons, Graduate Choral Literature, Advanced Choral Conducting
• Ensembles: A Cappella Choir, Chamber Singers
Stephen Gusukuma, Lecturer in Choral Music (Stephen_Gusukuma@baylor.edu)
• Elementary Conducting, Undergraduate Choral Conducting, Fundamentals of Conducting (graduate)
• Women's Choir, VirtuOSO
MM CONDUCTING—CHORAL CURRICULUM
3 Research Methods & Bibliography
3 Music Theory—Analytical Techniques
3 Music History elective
2 Choral Conducting
2 Orchestral Conducting
2 Band Conducting
2 Choral Conducting—Performance Practicum
4 Applied Conducting—Studio lessons
3 Graduate Choral Literature
30 Total Credits in Program
PODIUM EXPERIENCE AND RECITALS
Students in the MM Conducting program (choral emphasis) will gain experiences that both broaden and deepen their musical perspectives and skill set. Graduate conductors are integrated into the regular rehearsal patterns of the Baylor A Cappella Choir, Chamber Singers and/or Bella Voce, where they will learn how to sharpen their rehearsal and gestural skills at the highest level.
Additionally, graduate choral conductors will have valuable opportunities to further their rehearsal and gestural skill as they learn about cultivating choral communities with both vocational and avocational singers having the opportunity to learn from all Baylor choral conducting faculty. These experiences with choirs populated by both majors and non-major singers, such as Bella Voce, Concert Choir, Men’s Chorus and Women’s Chorus, broaden the graduate conductor’s perspectives on community building, rehearsal pedagogy, and repertoire selection as well as gesture.
At the end of their study, graduate choral conductors will have the opportunity to prepare a culminating recital project with A Cappella Choir, Chamber Singers or Bella Voce.
MM Admission Requirements complete list found on the School of Music Admissions page.
MM Application Materials - more info can be found on the School of Music page.
• Application fee, which may be paid with a credit card as part of the online application.
• Personal Statement that highlights your goals for graduate studies as well as your career (2-5 pages).
• C.V. or Resumé that includes degrees earned, honors and awards, and any teaching and/or applicable work experience.
• Official transcripts of previous college/university work.
• Three letters of recommendation from persons who can evaluate the prospective student’s potential as a graduate student and/or a career musician.
• Test of English as a Foreign Language scores (required only for international students). The TOEFL is not required for international students who hold a degree from an accredited English-language university, but a completed transcript showing graduation must be submitted. International students whose primary language in not English must achieve a score of 213 computer version, 550 paper test, 80 internet based on the TOEFL examination as part of their entrance requirements.
Schedule for conducting auditions:
January 1 - Begin reviewing MM choral conducting applications.
January 15 - Deadline for receipt of audition videos by the Baylor School of Music. To submit video files electronically, please go to: app.getacceptd.com/baylormusic.
February 1 - Application Deadline. Invitations will be extended for in-person auditions.
February 25 - Graduate choral conducting auditions held on campus.
March 6 - Admission and assistantship status will be determined and the students notified shortly thereafter.
Note: These requirements and dates apply only to MM Conducting majors, not to Church Music majors with Conducting emphasis, who are required only to submit a video of their conducting.
Note: Prospective MM Conducting (Choral) students are not required to audition for the voice faculty as part of their admission process.