Graduate Audition RequirementsMASTER OF MUSIC IN VOCAL PERFORMANCE AUDITIONS
Domestic applicants for the Master of Music in Vocal Performance must complete an on-campus audition in order to be considered for a Teaching Assistantship. International applicants may be considered for a Teaching Assistantship by completing a live audition or auditioning via a recorded audition (see below). The Graduate Record Examination is not required for admission to the Master of Music in Vocal Performance.
All prospective graduate voice students must apply to the Baylor University Graduate School before submitting an audition request to the School of Music. If an applicant has not applied to the Graduate School prior to requesting an audition date, any such request will be denied until such application has been made.
The dates and locations for voice auditions are as follows:
Friday, December 1, 2017 - Roxy Grove Hall - Waco Hall West (afternoon)
Friday, January 12, 2018 - Roxy Grove Hall - Waco Hall West (afternoon)
Saturday, January 13, 2017 - Meadows Recital Hall - McCrary Music Building
Sunday, January 27, 2018 - Meadows Recital Hall - McCrary Music Building
Friday, February 23, 2018 - Roxy Grove Hall - Waco Hall West (afternoon)
Saturday, February 24, 2018 - Meadows Recital Hall - McCrary Music Building
AUDITION REQUIREMENTS for the MASTER of MUSIC in VOCAL PERFORMANCE degree
[MMVP]• a minimum of five vocal selections. Additional selections may be offered at the applicant's discretion;
• at least three of the four major style periods must be represented - Baroque, Classical, Romantic,
and Twentieth Century/Contemporary;• English, French, German, and Italian languages must be represented;
• only two arias can be presented, one of which must be operatic, and one of the two arias must contain
a recitative. The second aria can be operatic or an oratorio/cantata aria. Both arias must represent
contrasting style periods;• the remaining repertoire must consist of art song repertoire and should also represent a variety of styles;
• all audition material, other than an oratorio/cantata selection (which may be performed with music), must be
performed from memory;• the audition may include the singing of vocalises at the audition committee’s discretion.
AUDITION REQUIREMENTS for the MASTER of MUSIC in CHURCH MUSIC--Vocal
Performance Track degree [MMCM-VP]• a minimum of three vocal selections. Additional selections may be offered at the applicant’s discretion;
• at least two art songs and/or arias in two languages other than English; • one aria from a major sacred
oratorio or cantata;• no repertoire in a popular music style will be accepted for audition purposes.
SUPPORTING MATERIALS for all MMVP and MMCM-VP Applicants
• audition repertoire list;
• scanned copies of representative recital and public performance programs;
• a résumé;
• a list of repertoire that the applicant has performed to date to accurately represent accomplishments and
course of vocal study thus far;• please upload the above materials via this LINK
• Applicants are required to send the titles of your audition repertoire to the Vocal Studies Division’s Recruiting Coordinator at least two weeks prior to the audition. An applicant may be asked to send a scanned copy, or copies, of repertoire to the Recruiting Coordinator upon request. Any scanned copy should be as clean as possible with the tempo marking of each selection indicated on the music. Please also include the applicant’s name and contact information on the first page of all scanned copies. Each applicant must bring copies of all repertoire for the audition pianist (even scanned music that may have been sent previously).
RECORDED AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
• If an applicant is unable to appear in person and resides farther than 300 miles from the Baylor campus, a recorded audition may be submitted for admission by prior arrangement. However, as stated above, domestic applicants will only be considered for a Teaching Assistantship by completing an on-campus audition. International applicants will be considered for a Teaching Assistantship by an on-campus audition or recorded submission. Please access the following link for the submission of a recorded audition: getacceptd.com/baylormusic
• The repertoire requirements for a recorded audition are the same as those for an on-campus audition, as well as the submission of the same supporting materials as noted earlier.
• Whether auditioning in person or via video, please complete and send all audition requests via this LINK. All recorded auditions must be uploaded on or before February 1, 2018. Any recorded auditions received following this date will be evaluated for admission for the Fall 2018 Semester at the discretion of the voice faculty.
If you have any questions concerning audition procedures or the Vocal Studies Division, please contact Music_Admit@baylor.edu or Dr. Robert Best at Robert_Best@baylor.edu or 254-710-4602.