MLK Day of Service
Legislation signed in 1983 marked the birthday of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. as a federal holiday. In 1994, Congress designated the Martin Luther King Jr. Federal Holiday as a national day of service and charged the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS), the federal agency that leads service and volunteering, with leading this effort. Each year, on the third Monday in January, the MLK Day of Service is observed as a "day on, not a day off." MLK Day of Service is intended to empower individuals, strengthen communities, bridge barriers, create solutions to social problems, and move us closer to Dr. King's vision of a "Beloved Community."
The 2023 MLK Week of Service will be
January 16th - 20th.
Your generous donations will benefit Unbound Now Waco, an agency that supports survivors and resources the community to fight human trafficking. Donations may be delivered to Bronda Hayes at the Unbound Now Waco offices. Please contact Bronda Hayes to schedule your drop-off time.
Requested items include:
- Travel size hygiene kits for males, females and youth (shampoo, conditioner, lotion, soap, deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.)
- Hair comb/ brush
- Ponytail Holders
- Slippers/slides (for male/female) XS/S/M/L/XL
- Socks -male/female adult and youth sizes
- Fleece throw blanket (50X60)
- Underwear – male/female adult and youth XS/S/M/L/XL (boxers for males, cotton briefs for female)
- Sports bras XS/S/M/L/XL
- T-Shirts – unisex long sleeve XS/S/M/L/XL
- Leggings females XS/S/M/L/XL
- Sweatpants males XS/S/M/L/XL
- Small journal/composition book (best if plain or with messages that are positive and affirming)
- Backpacks or Duffle bags to hold all items
Virtual Service Projects
- Register to vote! Then contact 10+ people and send them information about registering to vote
- Reduce waste sent to landfills by starting a compost pile
- Play Freerice, an ad-supported, free-to-play website that allows players to donate rice to families in need
- Reduce energy consumption. Turn off non-essential lights for 1 - 4 hours (your choice)
- Charity Miles - Earn corporate donations for the charity of you choice simply by running, walking, swimming, etc. Download the free Charity Miles app, choose the cause you would like to benefit, and get moving!
- Reduce waste by cooking a zero/near-zero waste meal today
- Donate to your favorite charity online. Visit Charity Navigator to check out your charity's rating.