MLK Day of Service
Legislation signed in 1983 marked the birthday of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. as a federal holiday. In 1994, Congress designated the Martin Luther King Jr. Federal Holiday as a national day of service and charged the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS), the federal agency that leads service and volunteering, with leading this effort. Each year, on the third Monday in January, the MLK Day of Service is observed as a "day on, not a day off." MLK Day of Service is intended to empower individuals, strengthen communities, bridge barriers, create solutions to social problems, and move us closer to Dr. King's vision of a "Beloved Community."
The 2022 MLK Day of Service will be held on Monday, January 17, 2022.
How can you volunteer? Register!
Help our local nonprofits by donating at the drive-thru collection site - the Bobo Spiritual Life Center parking lot at the corner of 5th Street and James Ave. Staff will be available to collect donations from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm. Register for a drop-off time. Your generous donations will benefit the Animal Birth Control Clinic, DOBEY Center, Mission Waco, Tennyson Middle School, Veteran's One Stop, and more.
Requested items include
- New socks
- New or gently worn (no holes/stains) - hoodies, sweatshirts, sweatpants, and coats/jackets
- New or gently worn towels (all sizes)
- New or gently worn sheets
- Toiletries (soap, shampoo, deodorant, toothbrush/paste, etc. - nothing with alcohol)
- Laundry detergent pods
- Wet or dry dog, cat, puppy or kitten food
- Pet collars
- Pet leashes
3 items or 1 adult coat = 1 service hour
Virtual Service Projects
- Register to vote! Then contact 10+ people and send them information about registering to vote
- Reduce waste sent to landfills by starting a compost pile
- Play Freerice, an ad-supported, free-to-play website that allows players to donate rice to families in need
- Reduce energy consumption. Turn off non-essential lights for 1 - 4 hours (your choice)
- Charity Miles - Earn corporate donations for the charity of you choice simply by running, walking, swimming, etc. Download the free Charity Miles app, choose the cause you would like to benefit, and get moving!
- Reduce waste by cooking a zero/near-zero waste meal today
- Donate to your favorite charity online. Visit Charity Navigator to check out your charity's rating.