Major Changes Coming to I-35 Before Spring Semester Begins - Southbound Traffic Shift and Exit Ramp Closures Begin Jan. 7, 2020Jan. 3, 2020
WACO, Texas (Jan. 3, 2020) – As faculty, staff and students return to the Baylor University campus for the spring semester, they will see more big changes to Interstate 35, beginning Jan. 7 with a major shift of all I-35 traffic to the northbound mainlanes and the closure of some southbound exit ramps.
The interstate is in the midst of a four-year reconstruction project on a 6-mile stretch from North Loop 340 to 12th Street that, along with regular 24/7 construction activities, will disrupt normal routines for students, faculty and staff. Be prepared for travel delays on the Interstate, for increased traffic on and around campus and to seek alternate routes around the construction zone.
A good rule of thumb is to “Know Before You Go” by checking real-time traffic conditions at www.waco4bmap.org, part of the BE SAFE BE SEEN initiative to help everyone plan and safely navigate routes through the construction zone, whether by car, bike or on foot. This real-time resource also provides traffic information on alternate routes, live camera feeds along the construction corridor and any closures planned over the next 24 hours.
Jan. 7, 2020: Major Traffic Shift & Exit Ramp Closures
On Tuesday, Jan. 7, at 7 p.m., the I-35 Waco construction team will begin work to shift all I-35 traffic to the northbound side of the interstate from BUS 77 to 17th/18th Streets. This shift will allow crews to begin reconstructing and expanding the southbound mainlanes.
This configuration is expected to be in place until mid-2021, weather and field conditions permitting. During this time, two southbound exits will be closed, and drivers will need to take alternate exits.
1. Southbound exit for BUS 77/Elm Avenue (Exit 337)
- Drivers will need to exit for US 84/Waco Drive (Exit 338A).
2. Southbound exit for University Parks Drive (Exit 335B)
- Drivers will need to exit at MLK Blvd. (Exit 335C) for access to University Parks Drive, 4th/5th Streets and Downtown Waco.
Once traffic is shifted, crews will begin to remove the southbound lanes that cross over MLK Blvd. This work will impact the following:
1. All lanes on MLK Blvd. that cross under I-35 will be closed as early as 1 a.m. Wednesday, Jan. 8.
2. During this time, the southbound exit for MLK Blvd. (Exit 335C) also will be closed during this time period.
- To access 4th/5th Streets and Downtown Waco, southbound drivers will need to exit at 17th/18th Streets (Exit 334), take the turnaround to re-enter the northbound I-35 lanes and then exit at 8th/4th/5th Streets (Exit 334B).
- To access University Parks Drive, southbound drivers can take the US 84/Waco Drive exit (Exit 338A) and continue through on the southbound frontage road to University Parks Drive.
3. MLK Blvd. and Exit 335C are anticipated to re-open after noon on Friday, Jan. 10.
Once this removal is complete, crews will continue the reconstruction of I-35 through Waco by removing the I-35 southbound mainlanes that cross over University Parks Drive, then BUS 77, and finally the Brazos River. Each removal is anticipated to take two days and will include closures of all east and westbound lanes that cross under I-35 at the removal location.
Please remember all schedules are dependent on work progress and field conditions.
Plan your travel by visiting the real-time website www.waco4bmap.org to get up-to-date information on travel time through Waco, closures and detours.
Follow @TxDOTWacoPIO on Twitter for up-to-date lane closure and construction information.
Visit www.my35.org/Waco to view materials online and sign up for lane closure notifications via text or email.
Email My35Waco@txdot.gov to subscribe for general project updates via text or email.
Call or text 254-313-WACO (9226) to speak with a construction team member.
Please slow down, stay alert and follow all signage through the work zones.