Baylor University Hosts Inaugural National McNair Research Conference
By Cacey Vigil, student news writer, Baylor Media & Public Relations
WACO, Texas (Sept. 20, 2019) – Baylor University’s McNair Scholars program will host its inaugural national McNair Research Conference Sept. 26-27 on the Baylor campus, highlighting student research presentations from McNair Scholars at Baylor and around the country, as well as other Baylor undergraduates engaged in faculty-mentored research.
During the conference, students will present their research to fellow McNair Scholars and other undergraduate researchers at various rooms in the Bill Daniel Student Center, 1311 S. Fifth St. The conference is open to all disciplines and also offers a platform for undergraduate students to participate in professional development opportunities, a graduate school recruitment fair and a traditional Dr Pepper Hour.
“I’m excited to promote the success of our scholars and showcase some of the amazing work our students are doing not just here, but across the nation,” said Steven Fernandez, director of the McNair Scholars program at Baylor.
The Baylor McNair Scholars program started in October 2017 and prepares first-generation and/or other underrepresented students to successfully navigate a path to a Ph.D. program following graduation through immersion in research and a variety of scholarly activities.
Students, faculty and staff attending the McNair Scholars Conference will have the opportunity to hear about student research projects, participate in workshops, network and listen to a graduate student panel discussion.
• Student Research Presentations
• Graduate Recruitment Fair, open to all students
• Graduate School Workshops
• McNair Staff Development Workshops
• Information on the Baylor University McNair Doctoral Fellowship
• Graduate Student Panel
• Networking Dr Pepper Hour
• Keynote Address
• Closing Banquet
Graduate schools participating in the Graduate Student Fair include:
• Baylor University
• Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
• Drexel University
• Florida International University
• George Washington University- Columbian College
• New York University Tandon School of Engineering
• North Carolina State University
• North Dakota State University
• Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
• Rhodes College Master of Arts in Urban Education Program
• Rice University
• Sam Houston State University
• Southern Methodist University
• Temple University Graduate School
• Texas Woman's University
• University of Alabama in Huntsville
• University of Chicago
• University of Cincinnati
• University of Houston Graduate College of Social Work
• University of Mississippi
• University of Rochester
• University of Texas at Arlington
• University of Texas at Austin
• UT Health San Antonio
• Yale University
Day One of the conference will start at 8 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 26 and will end at 6 p.m. Day Two of the conference will start at 9 a.m. Friday, Sept. 27 and will end at 10:30 p.m. All sessions are in the Bill Daniel Student Center.
For more information on the program or the conference, visit the McNair Scholars website.
ABOUT BAYLOR UNIVERSITY
Baylor University is a private Christian University and a nationally ranked research institution. The University provides a vibrant campus community for more than 17,000 students by blending interdisciplinary research with an international reputation for educational excellence and a faculty commitment to teaching and scholarship. Chartered in 1845 by the Republic of Texas through the efforts of Baptist pioneers, Baylor is the oldest continually operating University in Texas. Located in Waco, Baylor welcomes students from all 50 states and more than 90 countries to study a broad range of degrees among its 12 nationally recognized academic divisions.