Baylor at No. 75 in U.S. News RankingsSept. 12, 2017
WACO, Texas (Sept. 12, 2017) – Baylor University is ranked No. 75 among National Universities in the latest rankings by U.S. News & World Report.
Baylor is the fifth highest-ranked Texas university, behind only Rice (No. 17), the University of Texas at Austin (No. 56), SMU (No. 61) and Texas A&M (No. 69) and ahead of TCU (No. 78), UT-Dallas (No. 145), Texas Tech (No. 176), University of Houston (No. 192) and Dallas Baptist (No. 202).
Schools in the National Universities category offer a full range of undergraduate majors, plus master’s and doctoral programs and emphasize faculty research.
“Baylor University holds a distinct place in higher education as a national Christian research university,” said Baylor President Linda A. Livingstone, Ph.D. “As we continue to emphasize and value the University’s tremendous undergraduate experience, we also are committed to elevating our academic profile and creating a strategic pathway to become a tier-one Christian research university for the benefit of our students, faculty, staff and alumni.”
Other highlights for Baylor in this year’s U.S. News ranking:
- Baylor is the second-highest ranked university in the Big 12. UT-Austin is the highest at No. 56, followed by Baylor at No. 75, TCU (No. 78), Oklahoma (No. 97), Iowa State and Kansas (No. 115), Kansas State (No. 145), Oklahoma State (No. 156), Texas Tech (No. 176) and West Virginia (No. 187).
- This is the sixth straight year that Baylor has been No. 2 in the Big 12 and among the top five in Texas.
- Undergraduate programs in the Hankamer School of Business ranked No. 64, tied with 13 other universities, while the business school’s undergraduate entrepreneurship program is rated No. 12 in the nation.
- Baylor’s undergraduate engineering program, which now offers a Ph.D. program, was ranked No. 110.
- Baylor is ranked No. 57 among Best Value Schools, which rates universities according to the school’s academic quality, as indicated by its 2018 U.S. News Best Colleges ranking, and the 2016-2017 net cost of attendance for a student who received the average level of need-based financial aid.
- Baylor moved up five places to No. 38 among National Universities in the Best Colleges for Veterans ranking. U.S. News rates universities based on their participation in federal initiatives helping veterans and active-duty service members pay for their degrees.
- Baylor is rated No. 62 in the U.S. News High School Counselor Rankings.
The U.S. News rankings are based on several key measures of quality, including assessments from academic peers and high school guidance counselors, graduation and retention rates, faculty resources, student selectivity, financial resources, graduation rate performance and alumni giving.
ABOUT BAYLOR UNIVERSITY
Baylor University is a private Christian University and a nationally ranked research institution. The University provides a vibrant campus community for more than 16,000 students by blending interdisciplinary research with an international reputation for educational excellence and a faculty commitment to teaching and scholarship. Chartered in 1845 by the Republic of Texas through the efforts of Baptist pioneers, Baylor is the oldest continually operating University in Texas. Located in Waco, Baylor welcomes students from all 50 states and more than 80 countries to study a broad range of degrees among its 12 nationally recognized academic divisions.