Camp Policies and Procedures
Check-In and Registration
Please arrive at 9:30 on the first day of your child’s camp in order to allow time to complete registration. You will park in the front lot and walk inside to the designated check-in table to complete registration.
Parents and Guardians should have the following forms printed, signed, and completed:
(These forms are all located in one PDF for download during the online registration process.)
- Design Den Waiver
- Medical Information and Release
- Behavioral Expectations Form
- Baylor University Summer Program Disciplinary Procedures
- Form D- Parent/Legal Guardian Release for Minor Participant
Pick Up/Drop Off Procedures
Campers will enter and exit at the front doors on both days of camp. You will park in the front lot and walk your child inside each day to the check-in table. There you will be required to sign your child in and out. Please be prepared to show a photo ID when you sign your child in and out each day. Adults that will be allowed to pick up your child should be listed on the online camp registration form.
Please pack a nut-free lunch for your child. The museum has snack machines available, but there will be no meals available for your child on site. We will eat lunch each day in the museum and campers will have the chance to spend some time in our exhibits.
- Participants will follow all safety rules and instructions given in Design Den by Design Den staff, interns, and teen volunteers.
- Participants will stay in designated program areas and wait to be accompanied by camp staff before leaving program areas.
- Participants will respect themselves and other participants, along with museum exhibits, tools, and equipment.
- Participants should keep a positive attitude.
- Participants will keep all electronic devices such as phones, iPods, or laptops put away unless given permission to use by camp staff.
- Campus regulations prohibit the use of alcohol, tobacco, and illegal substances. Participants may not possess, use, distribute, or sell alcoholic beverages, drugs, firearms, weapons or fireworks.
- Participants must abide by rules and guidelines set by the instructors for each academic facility in use.
- Any individual found tampering with any fire equipment (i.e. fire extinguishers, fire alarms, smoke detectors, etc.) will be dismissed from camp immediately. Campers may not interfere with any security system or tamper with locks in rooms and other areas.
- Vandalism and pranks will not be permitted. Any damages caused in rooms or common areas will be charged to the responsible party. Replacement cost will be charged to anyone who removes or damages University property.
Cancellations and Refunds
Refunds cannot be made 14 or fewer business days before the start of the camp. A non-refundable fee of $25 is included in the price of your camp tuition. Cancellations made 15 or more business days before the first day of the camp will receive a refund minus the $25 processing fee. In the event that minimum enrollments are not met for any camp, we reserve the right to cancel or reschedule camps. If this occurs, you will be notified one week prior to camp and your entire tuition will be refunded.
Safety and Precautions
Design Den staff and volunteers are trained on safe and appropriate use of each tool in Design Den, including but not limited to soldering irons, sewing machines, hot glue guns, and other hand tools. We take your child’s safety seriously and will take time to train campers on safety precautions for dangerous tools and supervise any use of these tools by campers. In case of any injuries or accidents, museum security will be notified. In the case of a minor injury, camp staff will notify parents/guardians about the incident at pick-up. In the case that an accident is considered serious or an emergency, parents/guardians will be notified immediately.
Special Needs and Medications
Please notify us of any allergies, accessibility concerns, behavioral, psychological or emotional conditions or other special needs on the online camp registration form. You may be contacted to further discuss your child’s situation.
Design Den Maker Camps are not specifically designed to accommodate children with special needs, but we will make every reasonable effort to serve campers who may require special attention or consideration. If you are unsure about enrolling a child with special needs, please contact the Design Den Coordinator at MaybornDesignDen@baylor.edu to discuss how our camp may be able to work for your child. Please note that while we will do everything we can to accommodate every child, it is not possible for us to offer one-on-one care.
Camp staff is NOT allowed to administer any medication to children; if your child needs to take medication it must be taken before or after camp, or they must take it themselves. Please contact MaybornDesignDen@baylor.edu if you feel that your child’s medication situation warrants further discussion.