Congregation Agudath Jacob Chaverah
Congregation Agudath Jacob was founded in Waco, Texas, as an Orthodox congregation in 1888 by A. L. Lipshitz and 14 other men. The congregation has occupied several synagogue buildings in Waco throughout their existence. In 1921, the congregation hired its first rabbi, Charles Blumenthal. In 1966, the congregation became affiliated with the Conservative movement which allows women equal rights to status and participation, among other opportunities, within the Jewish community.
The [Waco] Congregation Agudath Jacob “Chaverah” oral history collection contains audio and video interviews with more than a dozen members, primarily women, of the Waco Jewish community. Most of the interviews were conducted in 1984 with an addition in 1993.
More information about [Waco] Congregation Agudath Jacob "Chaverah" oral histories can be found in the [Waco] Congregation Agudath Jacob "Chaverah" oral histories at The Texas Collection.