Data Research Fellows
This intensive Summer Fellowship program is a broad survey of applied research methods and tools involving both structured (i.e., data tables) and unstructured (i.e., text, multimedia) data.
Multiple $1,000 fellowships are available for Summer 2020.
Only the following applicants are eligible to apply:
- Baylor Graduate Students (any discipline)
- Baylor Faculty in a Humanities Discipline
FDR Scholars Receive:
- Official non-credit Baylor Certificate in Fundamentals of Data Research
- Funding for your summer research
- Online Instruction and online support in the competency areas visualized to the left.
FDR Scholar Expectations & Commitments:
- Desire to integrate data research methods into existing research projects – no prior experience necessary.
- Have a research topic that can make use of data research tools.
- Complete all pre-recorded virtual instruction tutorials.
- Present your research to the Baylor research community in the Fall. (Students enrolled in 100% distance education courses can present online via WebEx.)
- Promote your Fellowship on your CV.
- Acknowledge Fellowship on any related papers or presentations.
The Fellowship Program is broken into three sections:
Fundamentals of Data Research Certificate: Fellows will spend the first eight weeks earning an official non-credit Baylor Certificate in the Fundamentals of Data Research. The framework for the Certificate is based on the UK data life cycle which includes six stages: planning research, collecting data, processing & analyzing data, publishing & sharing data, preserving data, and reusing data. About 25% of the content focuses on planning research, publishing & sharing data, and preserving data; about 25% focuses on collecting or finding data, and about 50% on visualization and analysis.
Integration into Fellow’s Research: Fellows will spend the remainder of the Program working directly with our instructors to integrate and apply these new skills into their research project.
Campus Presentation: Fellows will then prepare a short presentation highlighting their research and how they are integrating new data research tools and methods. Presentations will be held in the Fall semester 2019. (Students enrolled in 100% distance education courses can present online via WebEx.)
Completely online program!
The Certificate in the Fundamentals of Data Research is completely online. The weekly consultations may be conducted entirely online via WebEx or in person on campus. Only the campus presentations in the Fall semester 2019 require Fellows to be present on campus.