Cataloging E-Resources in BearCat
Receive a notice from the Electronic Library that a new resource is available and needs to be cataloged in BearCat.
In the E-mail, there should be a URL for the resource to be cataloged.
Point your browser to the URL to view the website. Make note of title(s) and content.
Check on BearCat to note if there are any existing records for the resource (there should not be, but this will help ensure that we neither double-export the same record nor have duplicate records).
If no record is found in BearCat for the title, or if only a brief record is found (usually entered to facilitate order record creation), search on OCLC to locate copy. If you find a matching record, print the record and compare to the website. If it is a match, export record to BearCat, making note of the bib number created by the export. If not, then original cataloging will need to be done.
Assuming we found copy, and have exported to BearCat, then bring up the record in BearCat by title.
Update record with correct information:
BearCat fixed fields:
- Location: moody
- MatType: i (Internet)
- Update: u (Update OCLC – if IYU symbol needs to be added)
- Cat Date: change to today’s date if necessary
006: change fields to read:
- TypeCode: m (Computer file/Electronic resource)
- FormItem: s (Electronic) – note, this will show as an undefined field after initial edit – now collapse field and re-expand to bring up…
- FileType: choose appropriate code (only appears after “re-exanding” field)
007: change fields to read:
- Mat Catg: c (Electronic Resource)
- Spec Mat: r (Remote)
- Color: chose appropriate code
- Dimens: n (Not applicable)
- ImageBit: three dashes if not supplied
- Set all other codes to u (unknown)
- Check that FormItem is set to s (electronic)
- Add if not provided
- Use form: [Title from 245 |a] (Online)
- Make sure there is a field for the HTML header. Use form: 246:1_: |i Title from HTML header: |a[title from HTML header]
- Check the publisher and location. Supply information if available or can be reasonably known. If supplied and not on the current iteration of the resource (can be on other pages), then supply in brackets (e.g. [Kansas City, Mo.]).
- Verify these fields as necessary.
- Change date viewed to current date.
- Make sure other information in 500 notes is correct. For example, is the title from the home page, or did it come from some other location?
- Make sure information in 520 matches that of the website
- Mode of access: [supply]
- System requirements: [supply]
- Note: need separate notes for each
- Until further notice from Electronic Library, delete any |u with website (October 10, 2005)
- Check these entries as well
- Add website from E-mail communication. Copy from E-mail and paste here.
- 856:40: |u [URL] |z Connect to this title online [free resource]
- 856:40: |u [URL] |z Connect to this title -- on campus; BU restricted.
- 856:40: |u [http://ezproxy.baylor.edu/login?url=[URL]] |z Connect to this title -- off campus; BU restricted.
- Only put in “BU restricted” if a paid resource.
- If there is a need to open in a new window, put the following at the end of the URL: [“see International Financial Statistics”]
Verify record headings
- BearCat item record [note: codes supplied when creating item using “mlonl” as the Location code]
- Location: mlonl (Online Resources)
- Status: e (Online)
- ICODE2: x (suppress)
- ITYPE: 5 (Online)
- Insert field: [z *ERD*] (if not present)