The Central Libraries Special Collections (CLSC) support the research and teaching goals of Baylor University by curating, preserving, providing access, and teaching how to successfully engage with these unique and rare primary resources and special collections.
Keep up with news and updates on the blog: Connect with Central Libraries Special Collections
Education and Outreach
The core of our mission is to support our students, faculty, and researchers. These collections are meant to be shared and our staff are ready to help.
Whether you are a class from K-12 schools or classes here on campus, we can tailor a session for your needs. If you are a community group or would simple like a tour, we can assist in making your visit memorable.
Please contact our Visit page for more information.
Collections - general description
The Central Libraries Special Collections are open to students, faculty, visiting researchers, and members of the community.
The combined collections hold over 10,000 volumes dating from the 4th century to the present. Collections include rare books, manuscripts, book arts, scholars' libraries, archives, early printed music, and more. Covering a broad range of subjects, the collections are particularly strong in rare Bible versions, hymnals, early American popular sheet music, and significant American imprints.
Collections Care and Preservation
The CLSC is responsible for preservation, repair, and housing for the University Libraries. In addition, this unit oversees the environmental conditions (temperature, humidity, and security) of the collections housed in Moody Library. For education and outreach, we partner annually with our county library system for national Preservation Week, offering training to the community on caring for their cultural heritage objects. Throughout the year, staff are available to assist with how to care for collections.
Music & Fine Arts | Clayton Crenshaw | email@example.com
Artist Books | Sha Towers | firstname.lastname@example.org
General questions: RareCollections@baylor.edu
- Collections = These special collections are housed in Moody Memorial Library in several closed stacks areas. "Closed Stacks" is a term used to note that these materials are not open to the public for browsing and an appointment is needed. More information can be found here: Make an Appointment
- Staff = CLSC staff have offices in Moody Library on the 2nd floor, Suite 201.
- Appointments = Appointments are typically held in the Ray I. Riley Reading and Digitization Presentation Room
Financial support is critical for the Baylor Libraries to accomplish its mission to support excellence in teaching and learning, enhance research and discovery and foster scholarship and academic success.
Please contact John Bales (254-710-8509), email@example.com) if you are interested in supporting the libraries!
The Central Libraries are no longer able to accept gifts of books, recordings, and other materials, due to space constraints and the high cost of processing donated materials.
- Other options include contacting your local public libraries or other charitable organizations such as Better World Books (http://www.betterworldbooks.com/)
- Central Libraries will accept rare or unique materials that library administration believes will enhance appropriate areas of our collections.
Please contact Beth Farwell if you have any questions (254-710-3679, firstname.lastname@example.org ).