Logistics | FAQ
Students need to arrive at Baylor between 2:00p.m. and 4:00p.m. on the day of check in. Release time will be on the day of check out from 11:00 a.m. - 12:00p.m.
Flying: There are connecting flights to Waco Regional Airport (ACT) from Dallas-Ft. Worth International (DFW).
Arriving from DFW Airport in Dallas, the connecting flights are on American Airlines/American Eagle.
Transportation will be provided to and from Waco Regional Airport. We are unable to accommodate ground transportation requests from any other airports. Information for travel from DFW to Waco is provided below. We will collect travel information closer to the institute so be checking your email! All other transportation during the Christian Leadership Institute is included in the cost of the institute.
- Ground Transportation: From Dallas DFW to Waco, van transportation may be arranged on the Waco Streak. Contact: (254) 772-0430 or (800) 460-0430 or through their website HERE. Please make arrangements for students who need to use the Streak service ahead of time as CLI Staff will not be reserving these spaces on your behalf.
- Driving: Waco, TX is located on Interstate 35. It is 100 miles south of Dallas and 100 north of Austin. Here is a campus map for your reference: Map.
What to Bring
- 4 pair of shorts (quick drying if possible)
- 6 pair of socks
- 6 shirts (breathable or quick drying are more comfortable)
- 1 light jacket or long sleeve shirt
- 6 pair of undergarments
- 1 pair of tennis shoes or closed toed hiking shoes (dry) *
- 1 pair sandals or flip-flops (for shower)
- Hat (optional)
- Small flashlight
- Swimsuit (possible water time) *
- Sunscreen *
- Bug spray *
- Sunglasses (optional)
- Toiletries (Soap, Shampoo and Conditioner, Deodorant, Toothbrush & Pates. Note: there are community showers) *
- Sleeping Bag and/or Twin Sheet Set*
- PB&J: Pen, Bible, Journal
* The items marked * are one’s that you should not ignore because it could greatly impact your comfort, health, or ability to participate
No money necessary - all expenses are included in cost!
Students may bring money for souvenirs/gifts at the Baylor Bookstore if they wish.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the dates?
Dates for CLI 2020 are June 23-26!
2. Where is the conference located?
On the campus of Baylor University in Waco, Texas. Approximately 100 miles south of Dallas and 100 miles north of Austin on Interstate 35.
3. Who may attend?
Students who are preparing to enter their senior year of high school for the 2020-2021 school year.
4. How are students selected?
Hundreds of students are nominated (or apply) each year. Applications are posted early spring. Each applicant must complete the application and secure one referral form. Selections are based on leadership experience and positions held for junior and senior years, as well as other involvements. Academic success is noted along with service activities. Once the institute is filled, a waiting list of provisionally accepted students is compiled. If a spot becomes available, the next student is notified and has the chance to accept the appointment.
5. Where will I stay on campus?
Students will stay in one of the residence halls. The halls will be designated as we draw closer to final enrollment. The Baylor student leaders will also stay in the hall with the CLI students. All CLI students will have at least one roommate. If a participant has to cancel or ends up not showing up day of, their roommate will be assigned to stay with other roommates.
6. Will I be sharing a room?
All students attending CLI will be assigned roommates. In the interest of building community and friendship with other participants, requests for roommates will not be accommodated during the pairing process.
6. What if I cannot find the forms or if I have trouble submitting them?
Call 254-710-7611 or email CLI@baylor.edu.
7. What activities are planned?
Seminar sessions with keynote speakers. Breakout sessions with Baylor student leaders. Recreational and social activities along with a service project. A detailed institute schedule will be released soon.
8. How do I pay?
You will be prompted to opt in to a payment plan online when you fill out the application. You can either pay in full, up front, or pay a $50 deposit by the due date.
Cancellation requests must be emailed to CLI@Baylor.edu by the deadline drop date. Deposits/payments are non-refundable after the non-refundable drop date.
9. What is a life story?
Your life story is an essay allowing you the opportunity to reflect on significant events and meaningful relationships that have shaped you thus far. Only your counselor will read your life story and you have the option of sharing it with your small group at camp, if you wish. Please provide your name on the first page of your document and format should be single-spaced, 12 pt font, Times New Roman in a MS Word document. There is no specific length requirement but 1-2 pages single-spaced should be sufficient. Here are a few suggestions to include in your life story:
- Life-changing events and the most influential person in your life
- Passions/interests and significant achievements
- Obstacles you have overcome and lessons learned
- Hopes for the future
Email your life story to CLI@baylor.edu