William Frederick Cameron IV (JD '62), 76, passed away Aug. 23, 2014. Born on March 6, 1938, in Atlanta, Texas, Cameron was the only child of William Fred Cameron III and Mary Sue Dupree Cameron. He was valedictorian of his senior class at Atlanta High School, played saxophone in the marching band, and recently was honored as a distinguished alumnus of AHS. Cameron received his bachelor's degree from Baylor University in 1960 and his JD from Baylor Law School in 1962. In his years at Baylor, he was a member of Alpha Kappa Psi, Omicron Delta Kappa, and Phi Alpha Delta law fraternity, as well as president of the Baylor Chamber of Commerce fraternity. He was named to Who's Who in American Colleges and Universities. Cameron began his legal career as attorney advisor for the U.S. Tax Court in Washington, D.C., under the Hon. Howard Dawson. Two years later, Cameron went to Houston to join the first and only law firm in his distinguished career, starting in 1964 at Fulbright, Crooker, Freeman, Bates and Jaworski, where he later co-chaired the trusts and estates section. He retired as a partner of Fulbright & Jaworski, now Norton-Rose-Fulbright. During his legal career, Cameron served as chair of the real estate, probate, and trust section for the State Bar of Texas, and president of the Houston Estate and Financial Forum. He was a fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, and was credentialed by Woodward & White among the Best Lawyers in America. Outside of his law practice, Cameron served Baylor University as chairman of the Board of Regents, president of the Development Board, and president of the Baylor Law Alumni Association. After retiring, Cameron received honors as recipient of the W.R. White Meritorious Service Award and the James Huckins Medallion for his many years of service, gifts, and scholarships to Baylor University. Along with his wife, Princess, he was bestowed Baylor University's highest honor, the Founders Medallion, in 2009. Music was Cameron's passion and he took great joy in singing and playing the piano. At Tallowood Baptist Church in Houston, he was boys' choir director, choir tenor, and vocal soloist, as well as teacher, deacon, and chairman of multiple committees. He also participated in the Night Court musical productions by the Houston Bar Association and the Junior Women's Forum Musicals, and sang the National Anthem at an Astros baseball game. Cameron rarely missed an opportunity to spend time with his family. He cherished relaxing at the family beach house in Galveston, taking ski trips to Colorado and Utah, going on vacations, and, as an avid fan and supporter of Baylor athletics, attending Baylor sports events. Cameron is survived by his wife of 54 years, Princess Mike Cameron; son, Kirk, and his wife, Jeanette, and their children, Kaeden and Kiera; son, Keith, and his wife, Michelle, and their children, Sutton and Sloane; granddaughter, Kyrie, and her mother, Jan Cameron. He was predeceased by his son, Kenneth "Kenny" William.
Charles G. "Charlie" Hall (JD '70), 69, of Texarkana, died Jan. 30, 2014 in Dallas. Hall was born Dec. 5, 1944, in Texarkana. He received a BS in chemical engineering in 1967 from Texas A&M in College Station and received his JD from Baylor Law School in 1970. He retired three years ago after practicing law in the Texarkana area for 40 years. He is survived by is wife, Sue Ferrell Hall of Texarkana; two daughters, Sherry Young and Karen Hall, both of Texarkana; two grandsons, Chris Young and John Young, both of Texarkana; one brother and sister-in-law, Jim and Mary Hall of Paris, Texas; one sister and brother-in-law, Beth and James Fowler of New Boston, Texas; and numerous other family and friends.
Richard David "Dick" Hatch (JD '49), 101, passed away on Aug. 23, 2014. He was born on Nov. 10, 1912 in Big Spring, to Robert and Dora Hatch. Hatch graduated from Big Spring High School in 1928, and went to work in the oil fields. He graduated in 1933 from Texas A&M with an engineering degree and worked for several oil companies. In 1937, he married Katherine Vines. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy and went to war on July 4, 1942. He retired from active duty as a lieutenant junior grade and remained in the Navy Reserve for 20 years. In May 1949 he graduated cum laude from Baylor Law School. Hatch and his wife, along with their four children, moved to Aransas Pass in May 1949, where Hatch went into a law practice with William E. Nicholas. Hatch was the general chairman in 1949 and 1950, when the Shrimporee Festival was called "Democracy beats Communism." In 1949, County Judge Bill Schmidt asked Hatch to fill out a term as city attorney, which gained him statewide recognition. He was active in the Texas City Attorney's Association from 1950-1970 and was president in 1958 and 1959. While practicing law in Aransas Pass, Hatch was city attorney for Aransas Pass, Ingleside, Rockport, Taft, Gregory, Portland, and Port Aransas. He was appointed San Patricio county attorney in 1970 and held that position until his retirement in December 1984. After retirement, he went back into private practice in Aransas Pass. In 1978, Hatch was president of the Texas District and County Attorney's Association, and president of the Aransas Pass Chamber of Commerce, Lions Club, and first president of the Rotary Club. He was on the Aransas Pass Independent School Board and worked hard to get a bond issue passed for a new high school. While serving as San Patricio county attorney, he fought discrimination against Hispanics. He took his secretary, Silvia Olivarez, to work in the San Patricio courthouse, making her the first Hispanic employee at the courthouse who was not in cleaning services. He was selected as the outstanding senior citizen in 1986 for Aransas Pass. In 1998, the Aransas Pass Chamber of Commerce honored him as citizen of the year. He also was a member of St. Mary Star of the Sea Catholic Church in Aransas Pass since 1949. He was preceded in death by his parents; four brothers; two sisters; wife, Katherine Evalena Vines Hatch; and two grandchildren, Katherine Louise Shedd and Christopher Ladewig. He is survived by sons, Richard David Hatch III (Nancy) of Aransas Pass and George Charles Hatch (Dr. Patrizia Gentile) of Corpus Christi; daughters, Dora Ann Hatch Ortego (Brent) of Victoria, and Kay Hatch Durrett (James) of Florence, Alabama; 18 grandchildren; 44 great-grandchildren; and 14 great-great-grandchildren.
Hector S. Lopez (LLB '49), 87, passed away Sept. 10, 2014. Lopez as born on Jan. 20, 1927, in Laredo to Francisco Lopez Jr. and Emilia Guerra Lopez. He graduated from Martin High School of Laredo in 1943. Lopez attended the University of Texas at Austin until he was drafted in 1945, and served his country in the United States Army during World War II in Japan. When he returned from the Army, he attended Baylor Law School and graduated in 1949. Lopez practiced law as a solo practitioner specializing in oil and gas law and founded Galo Land and Cattle Company. Lopez served on the board of numerous banks in Alice and Corpus Christi. He was active in his church, St. Joseph Catholic Church, and was a donating member of the Knights of Columbus. He was preceded in death by his parents, Francisco Lopez Jr. and Emilia Guerra Lopez; one brother, Guillermo Lopez; and his sister, Irma Lopez Trevino. He is survived by the love of his life, his wife of 64 years, Gloria Garcia Lopez of Alice; one brother, Francisco "Paco" R. (Grace S.) Lopez of Alice; three sisters, Gloria L. Trevino of Alice, Emma L. Vidaurri of Laredo, and Lucila L. Wing of Austin; numerous nieces and nephews; and two caregivers, Veronica Elizondo and Dora Lopez.