Debora B. Alsup
Debbie Alsup has practiced appellate law for more than 35 years, providing comprehensive state and federal appellate representation. She has participated in more than 100 appellate cases and represented clients at the U.S. Supreme Court, the Fifth Circuit, the Federal Circuit, the Texas Supreme Court, all fourteen Texas Courts of Appeal, and numerous state and federal district courts. Debbie has significant trial court representation experience, including developing and arguing strategic legal motions, structuring jury charges, and preparing post-judgment motions. She also consults with clients and trial counsel in analyzing potential appellate complaints and in preserving the trial record for mandamus and/or appeal.
Debbie has been Board Certified in Civil Appellate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization since 1990. She has been recognized by numerous legal directories for her appellate work, including The Best Lawyers in America®, Texas Super Lawyers®, and Benchmark: Litigation. Debbie has been named one of the Top 50 Female (2014-2017) and Top 50 Central/West Texas (2014-2018) Super Lawyers®.
Honors & Affiliations
- The Best Lawyers in America® by Woodward/White Inc. (Appellate Practice, Commercial Litigation), 2008-2021
- Top 50 Female Attorneys in Texas, Texas Super Lawyers® by Thomson Reuters, 2015-2017
- Top 50 Central/West Texas Lawyers, Texas Super Lawyers® by Thomson Reuters, 2014-2018
- Texas Super Lawyers® by Thomson Reuters (Appellate, Civil Litigation Defense), 2006-2019
- Future Star – Texas by Benchmark Appellate: The Definitive Guide to America’s Leading Appellate Firms & Attorneys, 2016
- Fifth Circuit Litigation Star by Benchmark Appellate: The Definitive Guide to America’s Leading Appellate Firms & Attorneys, 2012-2013
- 2011 Winning Women Honoree, Texas Lawyer
- Member, College of the State Bar of Texas
- Member, American Bar Association; Litigation Section; Appellate Section
- Member, State Bar of Texas; Litigation Section; Appellate Section; Special Assistant Disciplinary Counsel to the Judicial Conduct Commission
- Member, Austin Bar Association; Co-Founder, Civil Appellate Law Section
- Member, National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
- Member and Secretary, Texas CASA Board of Directors, 2016-2019
- Helping Hand Home for Children, residential treatment center for severely abused children, ages 6-12; Board of Directors; Legal Counsel, 2011-present
Education & Admissions
- J.D., 1982, cum laude, Baylor Law School; ranked first in graduating class; Associate Editor, Baylor Law Review
- B.S., 1979, magna cum laude, Baylor University; Mortar Board and Omicron Delta Kappa scholastic honorary fraternities; Kappa Kappa Gamma social sorority
- Texas Supreme Ct.
- U.S. Ct. of App., Federal Circuit
- U.S. Ct. of App., Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Ct. of App., Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Ct. of App., Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Ct. of App., Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Dist. Ct., E. Dist. Texas
- U.S. Dist. Ct., N. Dist. Texas
- U.S. Dist. Ct., S. Dist. Texas
- U.S. Dist. Ct., W. Dist. Texas
- U.S. Supreme Ct.