July 2020

Col. James B. Adams, JD '49

Col. James B. Adams passed away suddenly on the evening of April 25. Like many others of his generation he lived a life that represented the best of America and of Texas. He was kind, intelligent, humorous, hardworking, patient and loving, and he valued above everything, honesty, justice, and integrity.

Jim Adams was born to Lynn and Florence Adams in Corsicana, Texas in 1926. He was the youngest of three. His family lived through the Depression by dint of his father's multiple jobs augmented by raising chickens and eggs behind their small house. Later they moved to Mexia, Texas where Jimmy studied, raised and rode horses, worked part time, learned to drive, and made lifelong friends. In 1943 at the age of 17 he volunteered and after posting high enlistment test scores was recruited into the Army Specialized Training Program. He was assigned to LSU where he completed two semesters of engineering studies making the Dean's List each time before the Army cancelled the ASTP and assigned him to Japanese combat language training and active duty. His official report date was D-Day, June 6th, 1944. After completing language training at Yale, he turned 18 and was sent to Basic Training at Ft. Hood. Afterwards he was sent for additional language training at the University of Minnesota before boarding a troop ship for Japan where he had been assigned as Tech Sergeant to a combat unit. He was 5'6" tall and weighed 110 lbs. The war in Japan ended before he arrived, and he spent almost two years in Tokyo as part of the US occupying forces.

After mustering out he used the money he saved and the GI Bill to buy a car and obtain his law degree (LLB/JD) and then BA at Baylor. After graduation he became the assistant prosecuting attorney in Grosbeck, Texas where he narrowly escaped a courthouse shooting by an irate father in a child custody case. In 1951 with a campaign budget of $50 he successfully ran for the Texas Legislature and was elected – at the age of 24. One of his key legislative actions was to push through a bill to ban cash payouts from slot machines – a key business of organized crime throughout Texas at the time. Having then decided to make his career in law enforcement, in 1951 he resigned from the Legislature to accept an appointment to the FBI as Special Agent. Given Jim was only 5'6", he did not meet the minimum height requirement for special agents but upon review of his qualifications Director Hoover issued a waiver to allow his hire. Over his 27 years with the Bureau, he served in various roles and locations attaining the position of Associate Director, the number two position in the FBI. He held key positions in the investigation into President Kennedy's assassination, organized crime, and cold war counter intelligence. After Watergate, because of his reputation for integrity, he was brought back to headquarters from the field specifically to identify and execute improvements throughout the Bureau. He also then spent 100s of hours testifying before congress during the Watergate investigation hearings. He received both the Attorney General's Award for Distinguished Service and the National Intelligence Distinguished Service Medal. In 1978 he served for a short time as Acting Director.

He retired from the FBI in 1979, becoming the Executive Director of the Criminal Justice Division of the Texas Governor's Office, and then in 1980, Director of the Texas Department of Public Safety and Texas Rangers – a job he particularly desired and cherished as a true Texan. He retired in 1987 – but continued for the rest of his life to talk about the wonderful, dedicated people he had the honor of working with in both the FBI and DPS.

More importantly for his family, during his first posting to FBI headquarters in 1954, he met Ione Winistorfer, a very pretty and very intelligent young woman who was working in the Administrative Division. Over the next 65 years he repeatedly called their marriage the 'the smartest decision he ever made'. Jim and Ione had three children, James Jr., Elizabeth, and Martha Wolcheski, all three married and have children. The extended family has always remained close.

At his passing, Jim leaves behind his wife Ione, their children along with spouses Debbie Adams and Frank Wolcheski, seven grandchildren (Katherine, James III, Nick, Kelsey, Chloe, Bridgitte, and Blake), and six great-grandchildren (Jaime, Lillian, Charlotte Jean, Evelyn, and Ezra).

Hugh Edward McGee, Jr., JD '53

Hugh Edward McGee, Jr., passed away on May 20 in Houston surrounded by family and loved ones. Hugh lived a full and complete life in every sense of the phrase. He was a self-made and resilient man who touched and influenced the lives of countless people for 91 incredible years. Hugh was born in Mount Vernon, New York on December 20,1928, and was the second of four children of the late Matilda (Z'Boyan) and Hugh Edward McGee. In his early youth he developed a love for the beach while crabbing and riding the surf on "buckboards" with his siblings at nearby Lavallette Beach in New Jersey. Hugh attended A.B. Davis High School in Mount Vernon where he lettered in four sports as a member of the football, basketball and baseball teams, in addition to being a pole vaulter and long jumper on the track and field team. Upon graduation from high school in 1945, at the age of 17, Hugh enlisted in the Marines and did his basic training at Parris Island, S.C. Following several domestic assignments, he was awarded a Naval ROTC scholarship and attended the University of Rochester. His family relocated to Houston in 1949. He worked a variety of jobs, eventually enrolling in Baylor Law School and graduating in 1953 after just two years. After graduation, he completed his military service and returned to Houston, teaming up with his prior mentor and friend, Joe Allbritton, to form the law firm of Allbritton & McGee. This marked the beginning of his career in Houston as a practicing lawyer, investor and entrepreneur, which lasted over sixty years.

One of Hugh's early assignments was to probate the will of a client named Joseph Kelly. Through that assignment, Hugh met and fell in love with Mr. Kelly's daughter, Dorothy, who became his beloved wife of 54 years. He used to joke that he had never received so many calls from a client regarding a simple probate matter! Hugh and Dorothy raised five children who in turn produced eighteen grandchildren and four great-grandchildren (so far!). Hugh and Dorothy were a fabulous team whose lives were grounded in their family. Each provided inspiration, leadership and support to their children in their own special, but complementary way. In addition to leading by example, Hugh stressed the importance of hard work, resilience and resourcefulness. And despite managing a busy law practice and a variety of business interests, he took the time to instill his love of sports in his children and to coach his three sons' football and baseball teams. He coached in the Spring Branch Memorial Sports Association for more than a decade, becoming a beloved coach and mentor to countless young athletes. Long after many of the youth he coached became grown men, they continued to call him "Coach" and often remarked on the positive influence he had on their lives.

When the situation called for it, Hugh could also be a strict disciplinarian. His children dreaded the phrase "let's visit about this in my office," which meant they would be required to present their defense to Hugh, who served as both the "impartial" judge and the prosecutor. While the results of these "trials" were predictable, the lessons learned made an impression that lasted a lifetime. Hugh was a quintessential renaissance man; variety and scope of his skills, knowledge, and interests was extraordinary. A gifted public speaker, he was a consummate host or master of ceremonies, always knowing what to say and when to say it. Over the course of his life, he held a wide variety of jobs: including golf course caddy, Pinkerton detective, traveling salesman, and short order cook, to name just a few. As a lawyer, he was a "generalist" in an increasingly specialized legal profession; he was just as comfortable in the courtroom as he was negotiating a business deal. He also had a significant entrepreneurial streak; he made and sold cold-cut sandwiches out of his dorm room at the University of Rochester, and later invested in real estate, mobile home parks, a seismic company, and automobile dealerships, becoming the owner and operator of two Toyota dealerships. Hugh also found time for a variety of charitable and civic causes, including Houston School for the Deaf (Board President), Downtown Exchange Club (President), his local neighborhood association (President), and the Houston Racquet Club (founder and President). Hugh was a master at engaging in witty and clever repartee. He relished a good play on words and never passed up an opportunity for a pun or joke. To him, gentle ribbing and sarcastic comments were really signs of affection. To top it all off, he was a fabulous dancer whose sparkling blue eyes, fun-loving nature and infectious personality often made him the life of the party!

Following Dorothy's passing in 2010, Hugh's children made sure he was immersed in the lives of his large and adoring family. Over time, Hugh developed a special and beautiful relationship with Linda Wood. She became his loving companion and they shared a very happy and joyful period together, attending many family events (graduations, marriages, baptisms, and birthdays) and enjoying each other's company. Linda doted over Hugh and cared for him to the very end. Hugh will be missed by all but always remembered through the incredible legacy he leaves behind, and the meaningful impact he had on the many lives he has touched.

Hugh is preceded in death by his beloved wife, Dorothy, and by his siblings John McGee and Barbara Brown. Hugh is survived by his brother Donald McGee, his loving companion Linda Wood, and his children and their spouses: Lynne Johnson and her husband Brian; Hugh "Skip" McGee III and his wife Susie; Richard McGee and his wife Kris; James McGee and his wife Renee; and Jennifer Nash and her husband Noble; his eighteen grandchildren and four great grandchildren: Patrick Johnson (and his wife, Molly and their three children Emma, Will and Thomas), Michael Johnson (and his wife Kendall and their son, Fitz), Kaitlyn Johnson Duffie (and her husband Parker) and Hannah Johnson Barnes (and her husband Ben); Katie McGee Field (and her husband Alex), John Edward McGee and Elizabeth McGee; Hugh Kelly, Eleni, Christina and Charles McGee; Matthew, Nicholas and Timothy McGee; and Kelly Nash Brown (and her husband Parker), and Michelle, Megan and Noble Nash, Jr.

Lee Jasper Brookshire, Jr. JD '65

Lee Jasper Brookshire, Jr., passed away peacefully at home in his sleep of natural causes early Sunday morning, July 19. Other than managing heart disease, Lee was healthy and happy. Lee was born May 4, 1936 and grew up in Lufkin, Texas. His father, Lee Brookshire, co-founded Brookshire Brothers Company where at the age of 11 years Lee could be found spending his Saturdays sacking groceries. After attending Tulane University for 2 years, he transferred to Baylor University to earn a B.A. degree. Deciding not to pursue a career in the grocery business, Lee went on to get his J.D. degree from Baylor Law School. Lee served in the National Guard and was called up in 1960 with the 49th Armored Division. After spending a year at Fort Polk, Louisiana, he was released from active duty following the Berlin crisis. Lee worked in the banking business through law school. After managing Navarro Savings and Loan Association in Corsicana, Texas he practiced law in Fort Worth as the general counsel for Colonial Savings Association until he retired in 2004. On January 14, 1995, Lee married Linda Haggard Lamun at University Christian Church on the TCU campus. They have continued to serve UCC as faithful members. Lee served on the Board of Stewards and has been a member of People's Bible Class for many years. Lee spent his happy retired years reading, traveling, attending Cowboys and TCU football games with Linda and family. He also enjoyed playing the piano at home. Lee and Linda loved to attend the Fort Worth Symphony and Dallas Symphony Orchestra concerts and events. He was also an avid snow skier and SCUBA diver most of his life. Lee is remembered for his kind heart, gentle spirit and as Linda's hospitality partner as they so loved to host and entertain at their home in east Fort Worth. Survivors: Lee is survived by his beloved wife, Linda; daughters, Britt (husband, Bob) and Carlye (husband, Ralph); granddaughter, Clare; sister, Jan Osgood (husband, Bill); Linda's children, Tim (wife, Jett), Steve, Jeff; and four grandchildren. He will be deeply missed.

C. Vernon Hartline, Jr., JD '73

C. Vernon Hartline, Jr., a long time-time Dallas lawyer, went home to be with the Lord on Monday, July 13, 2020 at the age of 75. Vernon was born November 5, 1944 in Dallas, Texas to Clyde Vernon Hartline and Betty Angel Hartline. After graduating from Plano Senior High School in 1963, he attended Baylor University and received a Bachelor of Arts Degree in 1968. Vernon married Lynne Thompson on September 3, 1966. During his first year of law school at Baylor Law, Vernon was drafted and served in the U.S. Army as a First Lieutenant in Vietnam. After being injured in combat in early 1971, he was medevaced to the Air Force Military Hospital in Okinawa, Japan, where he recuperated for several months. He was discharged and came back to Texas in April of 1971, and just days after arriving home, he returned to Baylor Law to finish his law degree. During law school he was a member of the Order of the Barristers.

After Vernon was graduated from Baylor Law in 1973, he joined Gardere, Porter & DeHay, where he began his career as a trial lawyer. After a merger in 1979, Vernon and several of his colleagues formed DeHay & Blanchard. Vernon continued his career as a trial lawyer with Strasburger & Price beginning in 1984. In 1994, he and several colleagues in the firm's product liability group decided to form their own firm, Hartline, Dacus, Dreyer, & Kern, L.L.P., to provide services to their clients more efficiently and effectively. At the prior firm they had been told, "Big ships turn slowly," so Vernon and his colleagues vowed be nimble, able to adjust their sails to meet their clients' needs while providing the highest quality legal services. It was that commitment that carried Vernon through to his last day with his colleagues at Hartline Barger, LLP, on July 13, 2020. Vernon loved practicing law and being in the courtroom. His distinguished career as a product liability defense lawyer was highlighted by successes in the automotive and tire industry, which led to the firm's representation of several major automotive and tire manufacturers on a regional and national basis. He also selflessly trained young lawyers, many of which started their careers at Hartline Barger LLP and have become his partners. He genuinely cared about the firm and its people, and he took time each day to reach out to his partners, colleagues, and staff. Vernon and Lynne were members of Park Cities Baptist Church, where they spent 27 years working on Sunday mornings in the church nursery. They loved to travel and explore the world; from the Red Sea to the Caribbean, Vernon and Lynne traveled the world pursuing their passion for scuba diving, and he captured his underwater explorations with high-definition video cameras. Their globetrotting hobby - along with frequent business trips - made him an expert packer. "I can live out of a roller bag for a week because my wife and daughter needed my luggage allowance ", he said. Vernon also loved cooking and taking care of his family and friends.

Vernon served as President of the Baylor Law Alumni Association from 1993-1994, and was frequently designated a "Best Lawyer," "Lawyer of the Year," and "Texas Super Lawyer" during his career. He also received the Bridgestone Firestone General Counsel Award. Among Vernon's many honors and awards are the National Defense Service Medal; the Vietnam Service Medal; the Vietnam Campaign Medal; and the Combat Infantryman Badge.

Vernon was preceded in death by his parents Clyde and Betty Hartline and his brother Douglas Hartline. He is survived by his beloved wife, Lynne, of 53 years, who was the love of his life; son Clyde Vernon Hartline, III of Portland, Oregon; daughter Nikki Lynne Braun and husband John of Midland, Texas; precious grandchildren Daphne, Conrad, Carlyle and Sebastian Hartline; and nieces Jehri Lyn Crowe of Birmingham, Alabama; Amy Riggs Newell of Tallahassee, Florida; and Meredith Mathis of Temple, Texas, and their families. The family thanks Vernon's oncologist, Dr. Brian Berryman, M.D., and his internist, Dr. Jennifer Wilkinson, M.D., and the staff of Texas Oncology at Baylor Medical Center for their guidance and care over the last few years.

Vernon lived and died fighting for the causes and people he loved, and they helped Vernon stay in the fight longer than expected. Vernon was a fierce defender of his family and friends, and you always knew where you stood with him. In lieu of flowers, Vernon would want to be remembered with donations to The Leukemia And Lymphoma Society (lls.org), Wounded Warrior Family Support (wwfs.org); and the Salvation Army (salvationarmyusa .org).

Donations to the C. Vernon Hartline, Jr. Memorial Endowed Scholarship at Baylor Law, established by Hartline Barger LLP to honor their beloved partner, may made online or mailed to: Baylor Law School, One Bear Place # 97288, Waco, Texas 76798, Attn: Kristine Bridges, Director of Development, Baylor Law.

Arthur G. Enos, JD '75

Arthur G. Enos, passed away on April 20 in Lubbock.

Linda McMillen, JD '80

Linda McMillen, passed away on April 11. Her diagnosis of MDS (myelodysplastic syndrome) in Dec 2016, shortened what was to be a much longer life. Born in Fort Worth, TX, Linda grew up in North Arlington, attending Nichols Junior High and Arlington High School (class of '66). Throughout her life, Linda was passionate about helping others, singing, short wave radio, emergency preparedness and her family. Her fondest school memories were of singing in the Colt choir directed by Miss Ellis, performing in the locally famous production of South Pacific, and making life-long friendships and connections. She continued to participate in the alumni choir and association activities for as long as she was able. Following a Sociology degree from Texas Wesleyan University in Fort Worth and work as a social worker in Tarrant County, she graduated from Baylor Law School in Waco and was admitted into the Texas Bar Association in 1980. She practiced law in Arlington as a sole practitioner until her retirement. During her career, she represented many underserved populations who needed family law advice, including a stint a Texas Legal Aid, both as a volunteer and as a staff attorney. Her favorite cases involved adoptions where she loved to see deserving children matched with devoted parents.

In her later years, her favorite pastimes included singing with the Sweet Adeline's, traveling, short wave radio club, volunteering in the emergency management office, certifying future emergency volunteers through training, running monthly tornado siren tests, being a weather spotter for North Texas, attending church and singing in the church choir. She continued to be an advocate for those who had no voice until the end. A menagerie of animals always surrounded her as she was known to have had dogs, cats, chickens, rabbits, guinea pigs and hamsters. She was also a loving fur-mom to countless strays and woodland creatures and often rescued elderly or ill cats and dogs to ensure they had the best life she could give them. Caring about and for her neighborhood strays was an unending devotion. Last fall, after a lifetime of wanting to live near mountains, her daughter and son-in-law offered her an opportunity to move to Albuquerque. She loved sitting in her apartment overlooking Sandia Peak, watching the radio antennas in the day and the restaurant lights at night and knowing that her family was just on the other side of the ridge. Although her retirement center was on lockdown the last few weeks, she took solace in feeling connected through the mountain.

Linda was preceded in death by her mother and father, Helen and Jim McMillen. She is survived by her daughter and son-in-law, Heather McMillen and Dan Daniel; sister and brother-in-law, Betty and Richard Brett and their children and grandchildren; and brother and sister-in-law, Jim and Kathy McMillen. She will be missed terribly. Her indomitable spirit will live on in each of us.

Larry Boyd, JD '82

Larry Boyd, husband, father and man of faith, passed peacefully in the early morning hours of July 18 following a long and courageous battle with Alzheimer's disease. Larry was born on Tuesday, April 28, 1959 in Casper, Wyoming to Thurman Boyd and JoNell Boyd, nee Reed. The family soon moved to Worland, Wyoming where Larry spent his formative years in a loving, nurturing and faith-filled home. Larry fondly recalled his Wyoming upbringing as idyllic filled with fly fishing, skiing and mountainside explorations of the Big Horn mountains where the family maintained a cabin. Larry was a lifelong fly fisherman who as an adult, along with his father and brother Lee, returned to their cabin in Wyoming annually for much cherished father-son fishing trips. Texas natives, Larry's parents moved the family to Mineral Wells, Texas when Larry was in high school. His love for entertaining others led him to play drums both in the Mineral Wells High School band and in the student-formed band, Delphi. Delphi played at many post-game school dances where Larry is remembered for rocking his aviator sunglasses, which at the time were thought to be "super cool".

Larry earned both his undergraduate and law degrees from Baylor University. He was an outstanding law student, graduating summa cum laude and first out of a class of 124 students. Excelling in the storied Baylor Practice Court, his interscholastic advocacy teams won numerous awards. Larry also held the position of Editor in Chief of the Baylor Law Review. In recalling Larry's time at Baylor Law School, Dean Brad Toben noted, "Larry was one of the most accomplished students to ever pass through Baylor Law, where he accumulated a stellar record in both academics and advocacy." Upon graduating from law school, Larry accepted a clerkship on the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit with the Honorable Sam Johnson. Working for the renowned trial lawyer Wayne Fisher as a civil trial lawyer was a personal goal, and following his clerkship with Judge Johnson, Larry welcomed a position as an associate with the firm Fisher, Gallagher, Perrin and Lewis. Following a brief stint as a solo practitioner, Larry formed a partnership with Wayne Fisher and it is with Fisher, Boyd, Johnson and Huguenard that he spent the remainder of his professional career. Larry was certified in Texas in Personal Injury Trial Law. He was a member of the Texas Trial Lawyers Association, both state and local chapters, and in 1998 he was inducted into the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA).

A man of many pleasures, Larry loved fast cars and Italian motorcycles, making sure to own as many makes and models of each throughout the years. When young, his children feigned displeasure, but were secretly impressed when their dad popped wheelies in front of their friends. It bears noting that his hubris could at times exceed his skill on the bike. Larry enjoyed a good Harlan Coben mystery, a delicious meal—he had an adventurous palette— and a glass of fine red wine. While he loved a good round of golf, his son confirms that Larry's talents were best realized in the courtroom. He was known for entertaining a crowd with long, often self-deprecating legal war stories, which at times recalled events from his days on the Baylor Advocacy team. Baylor lawyers of his vintage will appreciate that said stories often included a spot on impression of their fearless, and often exacting leader, "Mad Dog" Matt Dawson. Larry had a generous heart and he treated everyone he encountered with dignity and respect.

Most important, Larry loved his family fiercely. He was exceedingly proud of and he adored his children. The first among his family to pass, Larry is survived by his wife, Cheryl, his daughter Rachel, and his son Sam. He is also survived by his parents, JoNell and Thurman Boyd, his brother and sister-in-law, Lee and Caroline Boyd, nieces Elizabeth and Hannah, and nephews Matthew, Jared, and Max.

Previously, Larry's many friends established an endowed scholarship in Larry's honor at Baylor Law School. Gifts in memory of Larry may be given online to The Larry P. Boyd Endowed Scholarship Fund in Law or by mail to: Baylor Law School, One Bear Place # 97288, Waco, Texas 76798, Attn: Kristine Bridges, Director of Development, Baylor Law.

Col. Thomas Hugh Roe, JD '85

Col. Thomas Hugh Roe passed away suddenly on March 26, in Bosqueville, Texas, from a series of medical conditions attained during his military service to our country. Tom was a gentleman, a scholar, and a soldier. He was a devoted family man and a loyal friend. He was born in Fort Worth, Texas, to Hugh K. and Jeanne Peters Roe on August 6, 1961. He graduated from Haltom High School in 1979. He attended Texas Wesleyan College and Baylor University, where he played basketball at both. He then went on to receive his Juris Doctorate from Baylor University School of Law and became a member of the State Bar of Texas. After graduation, he enlisted in the United States Army and proudly served as a private for four months. He was selected to attend Officers' Candidate School and, upon completion, was commissioned as a Lieutenant.

Tom was committed to military service, earning the Legion of Merit (2nd Award), the Bronze Star, the Defense Meritorious Service Medal (3rd Award), Meritorious Service Medal (4th Award), the Joint Service Commendation Medal (2nd Award), the Army Commendation Medal (2nd award), the Expert Infantry Badge, the Ranger tab, the Parachutist Badge, the Air Assault badge, the Iraq Campaign Medal with Campaign star, and the Afghanistan Campaign Medal with 2 Campaign Stars. He earned Airborne and Ranger tabs and served multiple combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Tom met Lucia Dunn in Schweinfurt, West Germany. They did the "M" thing on March 23, 1990 and began a life of adventure together. They lived all over the world, including service assignments at Fort Wainwright, Alaska, the Joint Readiness Training Center at Fort Polk Louisiana, the United States Air Force Academy in Colorado, repeated assignments to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, Korea, and the Norfolk Naval Air Station, Virginia Beach, Virginia, where they welcomed their son, Daniel, into the world in 2001.

After the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, Tom was deployed to multiple locations globally. Prior to his retirement in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, he served as the Director for the Center of Army Lessons Learned (C. A. L. L.). He served his country as a distinguished officer until his retirement at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. Tom spoke in awe of his service in Arlington National Cemetery, at Ft. Myer, Virginia, where he served as the first Battalion Commander of the 1st Battalion 3rd US Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard). It was with great pride that he commanded America's Finest and he was honored to be instrumental in creating the Quick Reaction Force within the Military District of Washington.

Tom retired to Waco with Lucia and Daniel where he became even more active with his family and community. He reconnected with his former Baylor Basketball teammates, further strengthening their lifelong bond. NASCAR is a passion of Daniel's that Tom grew to love as well. Fast cars, strategy, teamwork…a son teaching his father in pure joy. As a family, they enjoyed traveling to our nation's National Parks. Tom wanted to visit all of them in his retirement. The years missed during deployments were made up with a passion and love of life and family.

Tom is survived by his wife, Lucia; son, Daniel; and a host of cherished extended family, friends and fellow soldiers. We will miss his ability to teach and lead with unfaltering integrity to the high standards he asked of himself and helped others to achieve. We will miss his teachings, perfection, and his thoughtful approach to all situations from every vantage point and opinion. His openness to new knowledge, his kindness to the lesser and his unfaltering love of life. We will miss a man who was larger than life and looked up to by many. We will miss his quiet strength and unquestionable bravery.