Baylor > Lariat Archives > News

Bears drop 3rd straight since Kansas victory

Feb. 27, 2001

Tigers defeat Men 69-59 Saturday


Sports writer

If the Baylor men's basketball team could have started its game against the University of Missouri 20 minutes later Saturday afternoon, the Bears might have sprung an upset on the Tigers.

By rule, however, the first half of play counted and proved to be a hole too deep for the Bears to climb out of, as they lost 69-59 to Mizzou in Columbia.

'We knew they'd come out fired up,' Baylor guard DeMarcus Minor said. 'They shot the lights out early.'

With its third straight loss, Baylor fell to 16-9 overall and 5-9 in the Big 12 Conference. The Tigers moved to 18-9 on the year and 9-5 in the conference.

Missouri started the contest on a 17-4 run, and took its largest lead of the half (19 points) on an offensive rebound and put-back by guard Rickey Paulding that made it 31-12 with 7:25 remaining.

While Baylor missed all seven of its three-point attempts, Mizzou buried 8-17, including four from guard Brian Grawer. The senior led all scorers with 18 points.

'Grawer almost single-handedly beat us,' forward Logan Kosmalski said. 'It was Senior Night, so it was emotional for him. The crowd loved him. They treated him like a god.'

Down 38-25 at intermission, Baylor was much better in the second half. The Bears shot 52 percent from the field in the last 20 minutes, but each time Baylor made a run, Missouri answered.

The Bears made one serious run in the game, as Minor's jumper pulled Baylor within eight at 46-38 with 15:13 remaining. The margin stayed in the single digits for the next few possessions, but after Kosmalski's bucket, the Tigers went on a 16-4 run to turn their eight-point lead into a 20-point advantage with six minutes left.

'It was frustrating,' Kosmalski said. 'Every time we made a run they came back. They kept pushing us back down.'

For the Bears, Minor and forward Terry Black both had 12, while forward Greg Davis was just behind with 11 points.

Baylor's game against Oklahoma State University has been moved to 6 p.m. Wednesday.