Baylor > Lariat Archives > News

KOT, Tri Delta take top float honors

Nov. 3, 1997

By Alyson Ward

Staff Writer for The Baylor Lariat

Thousands of students, alumni, parents and Waco citizens watched Saturday morning as one of the nation's largest collegiate homecoming parades moved from downtown Waco to the heart of the Baylor campus.

The constant drumbeats from several marching bands set the pace while Homecoming queen nominees passed by the thousands of paradegoers, wearing tiaras and waving from convertibles. Baylor alumni and administrators passed by, followed and preceded by bicyclists, motorcyclists and the ubiquitous Noze Brothers. But the highlights of the Baylor's 1997 Homecoming parade perhaps were the flashes of color and motion from the student-designed floats.

Several organizations entered floats, the most visible of the parade's approximately 150 entries. Each organization developed a theme with judges in mind--a competition that won them recognition made each group work long hours to give life to their ideas.

Awards were given in three categories, and a Judges' Award was presented to the overall favorite.

In Class C, Kappa Kappa Gamma won with 'The Sky's the Limit.'

Cindy Roach, a Monticello, Ark., junior and one of the three float chairwomen, said the sorority's members had worked on the float since the end of September. Members were encouraged to work on the float when they could.

'It was open for everybody every night,' Roach said. 'These last few weeks we had quite a few [people working].'

Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity was the Class B winner, and Kappa Omega Tau fraternity won in the Class A division.

The overall winner, though, was Delta Delta Delta sorority with 'Raiders of the Big 12.'

The float received the Judges' Award.

Member Robin Dusek, a Cleburne junior, said the sorority worked together with Kappa Sigma fraternity to put together the float.

'The guys put in so much work and the girls did what they could,' Dusek said. 'They just worked tremendously hard.'

Andrea Chalker, a Tulsa, Okla., junior, said members worked on the float for a long time.

'There were people out there all the time,' she said. 'We were up all night long Thursday, putting on the finishing touches.'

Copyright © 1997 The Lariat

Comments or Questions can be sent to The Lariat