Papyrus - Cyperus papyrus
- Scientific name: Cyperus alternifolius
- Common name: Cyperus, Umbrella Plant
- Family: Cyperaceae
- Group: Monocot
- Type: Perennial sedge
- Location: Sun to part shade
- Growth Habit: Graminoid
- Height: 4'-8'
- Spread: 4'-8'
- Bloom/Fruit: Dry, greenish-brown flower clusters
- Duration: Perennial
- Propagation: Cuttings or division
- US Nativity: Introduced
Cyperus paprus is the plant used to make paper by the ancient Egyptians. Native to Madagascar.
Scientific Information Sources: USDA and Howart Garrett's Plants for Texas (University of Texas Press, 1996).
Photos: Courtesy SP Johnson