Dr. Mia Moody-Ramirez
Department Chair & Professor
Office: Castellaw 266
Web site: https://www.miamoody.net
- Theory of Mass Communication
- Public Relations Media Programming
- Gender, Race and Media
- Reporting and Writing for Media
- Writing for Media Markets
- University of Texas, Austin
Ph.D. in Journalism (Dec. 2006)
- Baylor University
Master of Arts in Journalism (2001
- Baylor University
Master of Science in Educational Psychology (Dec. 1998)
- Texas A&M University
Bachelor of Arts in Journalism (1990)
Year Started at Baylor
- Editor for the Missionary Baptist General Convention of Texas' Women's Ministry Magazine
- Blogger for the Waco Tribune-Herald
- Editor and publisher of FOR Seasons magazine and Elegant Woman magazine (1997-2001)
- Managing editor, Stevens Publishing (1997-1999)
- Staff writer and columnist for the lifestyle section of the Waco Tribune-Herald (1990-1997)
- General assignment reporter and intern, Bryan-College Station Eagle (1988-1990)
- Media framing of various issues, including people of color, women and political candidates.
- Most recently, I have addressed how historical stereotypes have made their way into social media platforms.
- Moody, M. and Dates, J. (2014). The Obamas and Mass Media: Race, Gender, Religion, and Politics. Palgrave MacMillan, New York.
- Moody, M. (2008). Black and Mainstream Press: Framing of Racial Profiling: A Historical Perspective. University Press of America.
- Moody-Ramirez, M. Scott, LM. (2016). Rap Music Literacy: A Case Study of Millenial Audience Reception to Rap Lyrics Depicting Women. Journal of Media Literacy Education 7 (3), 54-72.
- Moody, M., Lewis, T., Murray, B. (2015). The 2013 Steubenville rape case: an examination of framing in newspapers and user-generated content. Southwestern Mass Communication Journal.
- Burleson, C. & Moody (2014). Sixteen Ain’t So Sweet: Longitudinal Study of Jasper Texas. Journal of the American Studies Association of Texas (45).
- Moody, M. & Fassih, L. (2016). Citizen Framing of Wendy Davis on Twitter, Tumblr and Pinterest. Presented Southern States Communication Association Conference, Austin, Texas.
- Moody-Ramirez, M., Nichols, C., Scott, LM., Lewis, T (2017). Singled and Singled Out: A Complicated Conversation, Texas Women in Higher Education Regional Meeting at Texas Tech University.
- Moody-Ramirez (2016). Discourse Analysis of the Top Rachel Dolezal Internet Memes. 37th Annual Southwest Popular Culture/American Culture Associations Annual Conference, Albuquerque, N.M.
- Moody-Ramirez, M. & Fassih, L. & Hernandez, M. (2015). Spanning the Decades: An Analysis of Monica Lewinsky’s Image Restoration Strategies during a 2015 TED Talks Appearance. Presented ASAT Conference, Huntsville, Texas.
For a complete list of refereed papers and articles, click here
Interests & Hobbies
- Media's framing of various issues including minorities, women and campaign strategies
- Proud mother of Heidi, Timothy and William
Favorite Thing About Teaching
"I like serving as a mentor to students and helping them reach their full potential."
Favorite Thing About Baylor
"I like the collegiality of our department. We all get along well and enjoy working together. I also enjoy working in Waco. It is just the right size for my family--not too small or too big and it is centrally located."