Dr. Brad Owens
Office: Castellaw 234
- Advanced Reporting & Writing
- Public Affairs Reporting
- Global Community
- International Communication
- Georgetown University, Ph.D. in Government
- University of Texas at Austin, Master of Arts (Latin American studies)
- Baylor University, Bachelor of Arts (Religion and Journalism)
Year Started at Baylor
- City editor at the Bryan-College Station Eagle. Covered education, religion, sports and politics
- Worked on the sports desk of the Austin American-Statesman
- Free-lance writing and editing for many publications (Including the Houston Chronicle and Catholic Spirit)
- Worked for 10 years as a radio sportscaster, doing high school football, baseball, softball and basketball games for an FM station northeast of Austin
- Work with media professionals has taken him to Iraq, the Arabian peninsula, Russia and Central Asia, as a researcher, writer and consultant
- Research involves the growth of free news media in developing democracies
Hobbie & Interests
- His wife and two children.
- His church in Rockdale, Primera Iglesia Bautista.
Favorite Thing About Teaching
"Our young journalists are so passionate. They are public-spirited, compassionate, honest. And they are so much fun to be around."
Favorite Thing About Baylor
"As an undergraduate at Baylor, I was so blessed to meet professors such as Dan McGee, Robert Baird, Jack Flanders, Linda Walker-Kennedy. They and many others became lifelong role models and friends. This is a school that really puts the student-teacher dynamic first."