1. New Am I eligible for an upgrade?
The required amount of time is 18 months from purchase date of last device, to be eligible for an upgrade.
2. Can I change carriers?
You will need to stay with your same carrier unless you have a business reason to change.
3. What do I need to do before picking up my new phone?
For iPhones, you will need to perform a backup of your current iPhone by following these instructions.
For Androids, the Cell Services office will send you an email with instructions on how to transfer the data.
4. How soon can I expect my new cell phone?
Due to limited resources, once Baylor receives your new cell phone, you can expect to be contacted within 5 business days to schedule your installation appointment.
5. New Can I order an iPhone 11 Pro or iPhone Pro Max?
Currently, the iPhone 11 Pro/Pro Max is not authorized for purchase with university funds. If you have a business reason for needing the iPhone 11 Pro/Pro Max, you may submit a Non-Standard Cell Phone Request Form.
6. New Can I personally pay the difference for a phone that is not on the approved list?
(Example iPhone 11 Pro Max)
No, cell phones are university-owned devices, not personal devices.
7. How do I order/upgrade a cell phone or smart phone for an employee?
Please submit the Request Form located on the Cellular Devices and Data Plans web page. First, you will need to know the approver's name and your departmental account number. The approver is the person who is in charge of the technology purchases for your department. It may be the department or budget head for your division.
8. What is the cost of ownership?
The cost includes the one-time purchase price for a new or replacement device, plus the recurring monthly charges for the services used on the device. If you are adding a data plan for an iPad, there is a recurring monthly charge. All charges go directly to the department to process payment. Since the cost of the device varies with the model and memory size that you are requesting, call ext. 2811 to get the exact cost and ongoing monthly charges before ordering your device or plan. All charges go to Telephone Expense 9376.
9. Can I get a cover or other accessories when ordering a new or replaced device?
Accessories are charged separately. The department determines who will pay for the cost of the accessories. ITS does get discounts for accessories that will be passed on to the purchaser.
10. What support does ITS provide for mobile devices?
ITS will provide software support. Services include activation (personally-owned devices excluded), setting preferences, and troubleshooting for non-functioning mobile devices for all faculty and staff.
11. Can I keep my current number when ordering a new device?
Generally the University discourages employees from keeping their personal number; however, for special circumstances, please contact Cell Services at ext. 2811.
12. Is there a discount offered to Baylor employees for purchasing personally owned cell plans?
Discounts for cellular plans are available for personal use to faculty/staff under the vendor agreements with Verizon and AT&T. Verizon:https://www.baylor.edu/hr/doc.php/261419.pdf AT&T:https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/iru-check-for-discount.html
13. How do I get a cracked screen repaired?
Unless covered under warranty, no service is provided for cell phones or smart phones, including cracked screens. You must contact a third party vendor.
14. Who covers the cost of a repairing a cracked or broken screen or lost device?
Unless covered under warranty, all physical damage will be the responsibility of the department to cover the cost of repairing or replacing the device. Check with your department to see if reimbursement will be required.
15. Do I have to use a passcode on my mobile device?
Yes, a secure passcode will be required on all university-owned mobile devices.
16. What do I do if I lose my device?
Any lost device must be reported immediately to ITS. During normal business hours, call the Help Desk at (254) 710-4357. After hours, send an email to email@example.com. This email goes directly to an ITS technician who will make contact before any action is taken. Include in the body of the email, information as to how and when contacts should be made since the Baylor device will not be an option.
17. Can a used device be redeployed?
Yes. When leaving a department or the university, all Baylor-owned mobile devices must be returned to ITS so that data can be wiped from the device. At the department's request, they can be redeployed.
18. I will be traveling internationally, is there anything I need to do with my cell phone service?
Yes. Most of the Baylor-owned cell phones will only cover nationwide calls. By adding a temporary international plan only for the time period traveled, will ensure you will not incur any additional charges for calls, texts or data use. If you do not have a Baylor-owned phone but will be traveling for Baylor you would need to contact your cell phone provider to add the service to your account for international calls.