Mobile Device Guidelines
Types of Mobile Devices:
Mobile devices may be purchased with university funds for faculty and staff for business purposes. Use of these devices for voice and data must comply with the Technology Systems Usage Policy BU-PP 25
. Support services and levels comply with the ITS Support Policy
. The various devices are described below.
A mobile device that provides access to web, email, video and photos through a cellular or WIFI connection. Cellular access requires a separate data plan.
- SmartPhones (Android, iPhone)
A mobile device that provides advanced capabilities beyond a typical cell phone and uses its own system software, such as iPhones. Unlike traditional phones, smart phones typically provide connection to the Internet and access to Baylor-supported mobile apps, such as Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Office products, Box, etc, and other third party mobile apps.
- Cell Phones
A cell phone that is not a smart phone. Typically, cell phones are used for their calling features and not for retrieval of data. They may be issued for temporary use to Baylor employees who travel internationally. If cell phones support third-party software, it is only via a limited interface.
Support services are provided by ITS to all faculty/staff for Android and Apple mobile devices as described below. Support services for students are available at TechPoint in Moody library.
- Software Support
Services include activation (personally-owned devices excluded), setting preferences, and troubleshooting for non-functioning mobile devices.
- Hardware Support
Services include any hardware repair for all university-owned Apple iPads that are listed as currently supported devices. Services for personally-owned devices are provided through the Baylor Bookstore for all faculty, staff and students.
- Cell Phones and Smart Phones
Unless covered under warranty, no service is provided for cell phones or smart phones, including cracked screens. All physical damage will be the responsibility of the department to cover the cost of repairing or replacing the device.
Level of support provided by ITS is described below.
- Full Support – All “standard” Baylor-owned mobile devices
Apple or Android devices are considered Baylor standard devices.
- Limited Support – All “non-standard” Baylor-owned mobile devices or personally-owned devices
- General Use
The requirements for using a university-owned mobile devices is described below.
Updated: May 2017
- Password - A secure passcode will be required on all university-owned mobile devices.
- Leaving the University - All Baylor-owned mobile devices must be returned to the departmental supervisor or HR prior to leaving the university. All devices must be sent to ITS to be wiped before they can be redeployed.
- Lost Mobile Device - Any lost device must be reported immediately to ITS. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. This email goes directly to an ITS technician who will make contact before any action is taken. In the body of the email, include your contact information. In addition, complete the Lost Equipment Report.
- Accessories - All accessories for any device must be purchased directly by the individual or their department. Check with vendor as discounts are available to Baylor employees.