The Office of Institutional Research and Testing is responsible for conducting course evaluations each summer, fall, and spring term.
Note: IRT does not specify who will be evaluated or when, or determine the questions on the survey form. See the Policies & Procedures page for more details.
Course evaluation results are used by instructors to improve teaching. In addition, they are a significant component of the performance review process, which includes reviews for tenure and promotion.
- Instructors use feedback from course evaluations to improve their teaching and the overall experience of a course.
- Department chairs use feedback from course evaluations to help instructors improve their teaching and make changes to the course and/or program that is being delivered.
- In many cases, course evaluations provide the only opportunity for students to provide feedback to instructors on how courses might be improved.
All course evaluations are administered electronically. The University utilizes a web-based student end-of-course evaluation system, which is hosted by an off-site vendor known as EvaluationKIT. EvaluationKIT uses a secure server that ensures the security of all data. The electronic course evaluation system is easy, convenient, secure, and confidential. EvaluationKIT is integrated into the University’s Canvas course management system, which provides easy access for both instructors and students.
Note: Fall 2018 course evaluation reports are now available. See the Reports page for more details to access reports.
Fall 2018 Course Evaluation Schedule:
- Friday, October 5 - Deadline for requesting required evaluations
- Friday, October 19 - Deadline for requesting voluntary evaluations
- Monday, November 5 - Fall 2018 science lab evaluations open at 9:00 a.m.
- Monday, November 12 - Fall 2018 course evaluations open at 9:00 a.m.
- Thursday, November 29 - Fall 2018 science lab evaluations close at 8:00 a.m.
- Thursday, December 6 - Fall 2018 course evaluations close at 8:00 a.m.
- Friday, December 14 - Fall 2018 course evaluation reports available by 9:00 a.m.
Spring 2019 Course Evaluation Schedule:
- Friday, February 22 - Deadline for requesting required evaluations
- Friday, March 8 - Deadline for requesting voluntary evaluations
- Monday, April 8 - Spring 2019 science lab evaluations open at 9:00 a.m.
- Monday, April 15 - Spring 2019 course evaluations open at 9:00 a.m.
- Thursday, May 2 - Spring 2019 science lab evaluations close at 8:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, May 8 - Spring 2019 course evaluations close at 8:00 a.m.
- Friday, May 17 - Spring 2019 course evaluation reports available by 9:00 a.m.