Character Across the Curriculum Course Proposals
Thank you for your interest in the “Character Across the Curriculum” initiative. Please read carefully the following instructions before submitting your course proposal and its supporting documents. All proposals are due by Friday, June 15, 2018
. If you have questions, feel free to contact Dr. Lori Kanitz, Assistant Director, Institute for Faith and Learning, at Lori_Kanitz@baylor.edu
or ext. 2739.
- Include with the proposal a draft of a syllabus for the proposed course. The syllabus should include the following:
- Course description (one paragraph)
- Course objectives
- Course readings
- Course assignments
- Other course activities
- Include with the proposal the previous syllabus and course description. Course descriptions can be found in the Undergraduate Catalog.
- Write and include a brief (no longer than two pages) proposal that includes the following:
- Explanation of how the course objectives, readings, assignments, and activities seek to foster “spiritual maturity, strength of character and moral virtue.”
- Explanation of how the course pedagogies and classroom management techniques reflect and seek to foster virtue and character formation.
- Explanation of how the proposed changes will alter the existing course.
- Explanation of any assessment tools that will be used to evaluate student learning (e.g. rubrics, pre-post tests)
- Information about the course -- whether it is an undergraduate or graduate course, whether it is a course for majors, an elective, or a general education course, an estimate of course enrollment, etc. Courses funded for this call for proposals must be taught during Spring 2019 semester.
The proposal should demonstrate how the various elements of the course significantly contribute to students’ knowledge of, appreciation for, and understanding of the relationship between character formation and well-being. It should also identify specific virtues the course seeks to cultivate—for example, how a business course on entrepreneurship seeks to develop students’ understanding of justice, or how a course on global studies aims to foster the virtue of Christian hospitality.
- After your proposal has been reviewed, you will be notified no later than Monday, July 23, 2018, of dates and times for training workshops.