Timecards During University Closures
Baylor University has campus closures throughout the year for holidays or days of observance. However, there are times when the University may experience a closure unexpectedly due to inclement weather or other emergency related situations. When a University closure occurs, it is important to pay extra attention to timecard entries and submission deadlines to ensure employees will be paid promptly and accurately. Learn more about the University’s Holiday Policy and Emergency and Incident Policy.
University Closure Time Categories
- Holiday: Staff and benefits-eligible temporary employees can use this category to log normally scheduled work hours during a University observed holiday such as New Year's Day, Easter, etc.
- Miscellaneous: This category is used for unexpected University closures such as inclement weather (Ex: Texas snow day closure on Monday, January 11, 2021).
For those who do NOT work during University Closures:
- Employees should record their normally scheduled work hours in the appropriate time category based on their job status.
- Student workers should not log Holiday Hours.
- Please complete timecards by the end of workday each pay period.
Are you or your team required to continue working during a University Closure?
- If an employee works during a University closure, the employee and their manager should follow these instructions:
- Any hours worked on the University closure date(s) should be recorded on the employee’s timecard as Regular Hours.
- Employee's regularly scheduled hours not worked on the University closure date(s) should be recorded in the appropriate time category based on their job status.
- Biweekly employees who work on a University closure will automatically receive Alternate Time added to their Alternate Time leave balance in Ignite.
- Monthly employees who work on a University closure will receive Alternate Time equal to the hours they worked on the University closure. The employee’s manager should email their HCM Specialist with the employee’s hours worked and the HCM Specialist will add this time to the monthly employee’s Alternate Time leave balance.
- If an employee had an absence (vacation, sick, etc.) scheduled on a University closure, the employee will need to withdraw the absence request for that day prior to recording the hours for the University closure on their timecard.
If you have additional questions, please contact Baylor Human Resources by emailing askHR@baylor.edu.