In This Guide
- Baylor will only employ staff members to teach courses when the teaching need cannot be met by hiring a lecturer who is not currently employed at the University.
- Staff members may teach no more than one three credit hour course per semester.
- Eligible staff may teach up to two courses per academic year.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why are staff limited in their ability to teach?
Teaching can place added stress and strain on the performance of your normal job responsibilities.
- Can I request opportunities to teach as a way to supplement my current salary?
No. Authorization from a dean is required for a staff member to teach. This process must be completed in advance and without solicitation by a staff member.
Steps to Authorize Staff Teaching
- The dean of the requesting school or college must have authorization (at least annually, no later than June 1) before proposing that a staff member teach certain course(s) for the upcoming academic year by completing the Staff Teaching Request & Authorization Form (STRA).
- Authorizations must have the signature of all of the below persons:
• the staff member’s supervisor (if other than department head);
• department head;
• executive council member (division head);
• And the provost.
- The request for staff teaching must include:
• the number of hours of the course and/or lab by semester;
• course time;
• and amount of overload pay proposed.
Considerations for Overload Pay
Any additional (overload) pay proposed should not exceed the base lecturer/adjunct rate of pay for the particular discipline and course. If additional pay is not appropriate, the normal rate of pay for said course will be funded to the cost center of the home department by the requesting academic department.
If the staff member is non-exempt (paid hourly) then the additional pay will be an hourly rate for the expected number of hours per week during the semester. The expected number of hours worked will include preparation hours and time teaching. The staff member’s home department and the faculty department must keep in mind that the additional teaching will cause overtime pay for the employee.