Staff Compensation Philosophy
The staff compensation philosophy is simple: compensate positions based on job content and pay competitively within the market, for the performance, skills, knowledge and experience of the individual.
Additionally, staff compensation has been designed to meet the following objectives:
Types of Staff Pay Changes
- Establish and maintain levels of compensation for positions based on their internal worth and external competitiveness within relevant markets that are reflected in our recruiting practices
- Reward employees for their individual effectiveness and advancement of Baylor’s mission
- Offer competitive pay as a component of a competitive total compensation package
- Administer the University’s staff compensation philosophy in a manner that is consistent with judicious stewardship
Please contact your HR Consultant to discuss any of these changes.
- Supplemental Pay – In situations where a staff member is performing duties that are clearly differentiated from and in addition to their normal duties, the department, in consultation with HR, will determine the amount and duration of supplemental pay. Supplemental pay may also be appropriate for staff members assuming an interim role.
- Change in Essential Functions – Jobs are assigned to pay bands based on internal and external benchmarking driven by the essential functions of the job. When evaluating compensation for a requested market adjustment or promotion, the following factors are considered:
- Degree of increase in responsibilities
- Level of performance compared to expectations
- Current pay level relative to the new pay band
- Pay compared to peers within the new pay band with similar skills, knowledge and competencies
- Importance, and possibly scarcity, of the role and the staff member’s skills to the University
- Depth and breadth of the staff member’s skills
- Department reorganization and job restructuring
- Addition of full-time staff reporting to the job
- Addition of new area(s) of responsibility
- Change in level of authority
Compensation + Coffee: Staff Merit Process (for managers) - April 28, 2022 Meeting Recording