Divorce/Annulment/Legal Separation

Certain qualifying events allow you to make changes in benefits that otherwise are not possible until the annual Open Enrollment period (November 1-30 with the change effective January 1). This summary outlines the benefit plan changes you may need to make as a result of your divorce/annulment/legal separation.

Please be sure to make your changes by completing and submitting the appropriate forms to Human Resources within 30 days of the date of your divorce/annulment/legal separation.

If you do not notify Human Resources within 30 days of the event, the next opportunity to change your insurance elections will be during the Open Enrollment period.

All forms should be submitted to Human Resources via email (askHR@baylor.edu), fax (254-710-3819), mail (One Bear Place #97053) or office delivery (Robinson Tower, Suite 200).

Forms and Documentation

Medical/Prescription Drug and Dental

Benefit Enrollment Application/Change Form

  • Complete this form to cancel spouse from your medical and/or dental plan. If you are not currently enrolled in the University medical and/or dental plan, you may elect coverage at this time for yourself and your family.
  • The event date is the date of divorce/annulment/legal separation.
  • Removing your ex-spouse from your plan will be effective the last day of the month of the divorce. If the divorce decree requires you to insure your child(ren), you may need to add them to your plan. If stepchildren were previously covered under your plan, you may need to remove them from coverage effective the last day of month of the divorce.
  • Group Term Life Insurance section would not be completed.
  • Schedule of Insurance Premiums

Medical/Dental Insurance Continuation (COBRA) Form

  • If your ex-spouse was covered under the University medical and/or dental plan at the time of the divorce and if he/she is not eligible for coverage through his/her employer, your ex-spouse has the right to continue medical and/or dental insurance participation through the University’s Continuation of Coverage plan.

Tax Form

  • W-4: You may wish to update your number of exemptions.

Name or Address Change

If there is a name or address change as a result of your divorce, please provide the new information to Human Resources at the email address askHR@baylor.edu, and contact the Social Security Administration. Once you receive a new Social Security Card, provide a copy to the Payroll office.

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)

You may want to reconsider your participation in Flexible Spending Accounts by either signing up now or changing the amount of your contributions.

Life Insurance

This is a good time to reevaluate your life insurance coverage to accommodate the change in your family structure. If you purchased Supplemental Term Life for your ex-spouse, you will want to cancel this coverage. You may also need to change your supplemental life insurance coverage and update or change your life insurance beneficiary(ies). If you are increasing your Supplemental Term Life, this change may require that you complete an evidence of insurability form.

Retirement Income Plan

This is a good time to review your retirement income plan, investment elections, and contribution amounts to accommodate your new situation. You may begin, stop, increase, or decrease your contributions as well as update or change your beneficiary(ies).

  • Complete the Change in Beneficiary form to change your beneficiary with GuideStone of the SBC.
  • Complete the Vanguard application/change form to change your beneficiary with Vanguard.
  • To change your beneficiary with TIAA-CREF, contact TIAA-CREF's National Counseling Center at 800.842.2776. All forms that you receive from the counseling center would be completed and forwarded to Human Resources.
  • Provide the first page, the page that addresses your retirement income plan, and the last page with the judge’s signature of your final divorce decree. Provide legal documentation for annulment/legal separation if applicable.

Questions? Contact Human Resources at (254) 710-2000.