We congratulate you on your recent marriage!

Certain qualifying events allow you to make changes in benefits that otherwise are not possible until the annual Open Enrollment period (November 1-30 with the change effective January 1). This summary outlines the benefit plan changes you may need to make as a result of your marriage. Please be sure to make your changes by completing and submitting the appropriate forms to Human Resources within 30 days of the date of your marriage. You may complete and forward these forms to Human Resources prior to your marriage.

If you do not notify Human Resources within 30 days of the event, IRS regulations require you to wait until the next Open Enrollment period.

All forms should be submitted to Human Resources via email (, fax (254-710-3819), mail (One Bear Place #97053) or office delivery (Robinson Tower, Suite 200).

Forms and Documentation

Medical/Prescription Drug and Dental

Benefit Enrollment Application/Change Form

  • If you are already enrolled in a University medical and/or dental plan, you may add your spouse to your current plan. If you are not currently enrolled in the University medical and/or dental plan, you may elect coverage at this time for yourself and your family. The addition of your spouse will increase your medical premium.
  • If you are enrolling in your spouse's medical and/or dental plan, you would complete this form to cancel your medical and/or dental plan with Baylor. Before canceling, first check with your spouse's employer to be certain they do not require that you maintain your own insurance.
  • The effective date is your marriage date.
  • Group Term Life Insurance section would not be completed.
  • Schedule of Insurance Premiums

Tax Form

  • W-4: You may wish to update your number of exemptions.

Name or Address Change

If there is a name or address change as a result of your marriage, please provide the new information to Human Resources at the email address, and contact the Social Security Administration. Once you receive a new Social Security Card, provide a copy to the Payroll office.

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)

You may want to reconsider your participation in Flexible Spending Accounts by either signing up now or changing the amount of your contributions. If you are already participating, you may want to increase your Unreimbursed Medical/Dental FSA contribution to pay for your spouse�s out-of-pocket health care expenses.

Life Insurance

This is a good time to reevaluate your life insurance coverage to ensure that you have proper coverage to accommodate the change in your family. You may also need to change your Supplemental Term Life coverage and update or change your life insurance beneficiary(ies). This change may require that you complete an application form and evidence of insurability form. Forms are available in the Human Resources office.

Retirement Income Plan

This is a good time to review your retirement income plan, investment elections, and contribution amounts to accommodate your new situation. You may begin, stop, increase, or decrease your contributions as well as update or change your beneficiary(ies).

  • Complete the Change in Beneficiary form to change your beneficiary with GuideStone of the SBC.
  • Complete the Vanguard application/change form to change your beneficiary with Vanguard.
  • To change your beneficiary with TIAA-CREF, contact TIAA-CREF's National Counseling Center at 800.842.2776. All forms that you receive from the counseling center would be completed and forwarded to Human Resources.

Questions? Contact Human Resources at (254) 710-2000.