Birth of Child(ren)

Congratulations on the new addition to your family!

Certain qualifying life events allow you to make changes in benefits that otherwise are not possible until the annual Open Enrollment period (November 1-30 with the change effective January 1). This summary outlines the benefit plan changes you may request as a result of your child(ren)'s birth.

Please be sure to make your changes by completing and submitting the appropriate forms to Human Resources within 30 days of the birth of your child(ren). If you do not add your child(ren) within 30 days of the event, IRS regulations require you to wait until the next Open Enrollment period.

All forms should be submitted to Human Resources via email (, fax (254-710-3819), mail (One Bear Place #97053) or office delivery (Robinson Tower, Suite 200).

Forms and Documentation

Medical/Prescription Drug and Dental Benefit Enrollment Application/Change Form
  • If you are already enrolled in a University medical and/or dental plan, you may add your child(ren) to your current plan. If you are not currently enrolled in the University medical and/or dental plan, you may elect coverage at this time for yourself and your family. The addition of a child(ren) may increase your medical premium.
  • The effective date is your baby's birth date.
  • Group Term Life Insurance section would not be completed.
  • Schedule of Insurance Premiums

Tax Form
  • W-4: You may wish to update your number of exemptions.

Life Insurance
This is a good time to reevaluate your life insurance coverage to ensure that you have proper coverage to accommodate the change in your family. You may also change your Supplemental Term Life coverage and/or change your life insurance beneficiary(ies). This change may require that you complete an application form and evidence of insurability form.

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
You may want to reconsider your participation in Flexible Spending Accounts by either signing up now or changing the amount of your contributions. If you are already participating, you may want to increase your Unreimbursed Medical/Dental FSA contribution to pay for your child's out-of-pocket health care expenses and/or your Dependent Care FSA contribution should your child require day care.

Retirement Income Plan
This is a good time to review your retirement income plan, investment elections, and contribution amounts to accommodate your new situation. You may begin, stop, increase, or decrease your contributions as well as update or change your beneficiary (ies). To change the primary beneficiary for your retirement income plan requires spousal consent if applicable.
  • Complete the Change in Beneficiary form to change your beneficiary with GuideStone of the SBC.
  • Complete the Vanguard application/change form to change your beneficiary with Vanguard.
  • To change your beneficiary with TIAA-CREF, contact TIAA-CREF's National Counseling Center at 800.842.2776. All forms that you receive from the counseling center would be completed and forwarded to Human Resources.

Helpful Information

Baylor University seeks to support faculty and staff members who are adding to their family through birth or adoption. Please review the Maternity Leave and Primary Caregiver leave policies for Faculty BU-PP418A and/or Staff BU-PP 418B. These policies include links to staff shared sick leave and Family Medical Leave policies. Additional information may be found on the HR Maternity and Primary Caregiver website.

Questions? Please contact Human Resources at (254) 710-2000.