Adoption and Legal Guardianship

Certain qualifying events allow you to make changes in benefits that otherwise are not possible until the annual Open Enrollment period (November 1-30 with the change effective January 1). This summary outlines the benefit plan changes you may need to make as a result of your adoption or legal guardianship obligations.

Please be sure to make your changes by completing and submitting the appropriate forms to Human Resources within 30 days of the date of the adoption/placement for adoption or legal guardianship. If you do not add your child within 30 days of the event, you will need to wait until the next Open Enrollment period.

All forms should be submitted to Human Resources via email (, fax (254-710-3819), mail (One Bear Place #97053) or office delivery (Robinson Tower, Suite 200).

Forms and Documentation

Medical/Prescription Drug and Dental

Benefit Enrollment Application/Change Form

  • If you are already enrolled in a University medical and/or dental plan, you may add your child(ren) to your current plan. If you are not currently enrolled in the University medical and/or dental plan, you may elect coverage at this time for yourself and your family. The addition of a child(ren) may increase your medical premium.
  • The effective date is the date that the adoption/placement for adoption or legal guardianship was finalized.
  • Group Term Life Insurance section would not be completed.
  • Schedule of Insurance Premiums

Required Documentation

  • Provide a copy of the adoption/legal guardianship documents.

Tax Form

  • W-4: You may wish to update your number of exemptions.

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)

You may want to reconsider your participation in Flexible Spending Accounts by either signing up now or changing the amount of your contributions. If you are already participating, you may want to increase your Unreimbursed Medical/Dental FSA contribution to pay for your child's out-of-pocket health care expenses and/or your Dependent Care FSA contribution should your child require day care.

Life Insurance

This is a good time to reevaluate your life insurance coverage to ensure that you have proper coverage to accommodate the change in your family. You may also need to change your Supplemental Term Life coverage and update or change your life insurance beneficiary. This change may require that you complete an application form and evidence of insurability form. Forms are available in the Human Resources office.

Retirement Income Plan

This is a good time to review your retirement income plan, investment elections, and contribution amounts to accommodate your new situation. You may begin, stop, increase, or decrease your contributions as well as update or change your beneficiary(ies).

  • Complete the Change in Beneficiary form to change your beneficiary with GuideStone of the SBC.
  • Complete the Vanguard application/change form to change your beneficiary with Vanguard.
  • To change your beneficiary with TIAA-CREF, contact TIAA-CREF's National Counseling Center at 800.842.2776. All forms that you receive from the counseling center would be completed and forwarded to Human Resources.

Questions? Contact Human Resources at (254) 710-2000.