Student Research Materials Grant
The Honors Program provides small grants ($300-$500) to support students who are engaged in science thesis research. Funds are limited, so please apply early!
2019-2020 Application Timeline:
- Application Opens: September 16th, 2019
- Application Due: October 23, 2019
Funds for recipients will be available beginning November 6, 2019
Once you begin the application, it must be completed in one sitting. If you close the application prior to clicking "Submit," the application will be lost, and you must begin again. To ensure that you are prepared to complete the application in one sitting, review the questions below to gather all of the necessary information you will be asked to include in the application.
- In the event the application is not submitted successfully, you will need to resubmit the application. So, be sure to compose your responses to the essay questions ahead of time, save, and copy/paste them into the application.
- You must make your research supervisor aware of your intent to apply for funds prior to submitting the application. The Honors College Research Grant Committee will be in contact with the Faculty Research Mentor and student concerning any details about the research proposal and this application.
- If you are notified of being awarded the grant, you (the student) or your Research Mentor will have 90 days to provide the Honors College (Amanda Barton) with the supervising faculty member’s departmental research fund account number so that funds can be transferred for expenditure.
APPLICANT, FACULTY MENTOR, & RESEARCH INFORMATION
- Non-Technical Abstract: Please include an abstract of no more than one to two paragraphs in length, written in non-technical language appropriate for a lay audience. Acronyms may be used if they are adequately explained. Abstracts of funded proposals will be published on the Honors College website and other marketing materials.
- Mentor Information: Project Faculty Research Mentor name, title and email address
- Funding: If this proposal has been submitted to other potential funding sources, you will be asked to explain and list project title(s), dates, and the dollar amount(s) of the potential award(s), if applicable.
- Project Period: The project period for which you are requesting the grant cannot extend beyond one year due to financial accounting.
Be prepared to provide the following:
- Background and rationale for this project (200 words or fewer)
- Specific objectives of this project (100 words or fewer)
- Research methods, procedure, and plan of work (200 words or fewer)
- Bibliographic References: Please include sufficient bibliographic references to demonstrate familiarity with scholarship in the field and to document the integration of prior research into the narrative portion of the proposal, supplying citations where appropriate.
A detailed budget should be included with this application using the line items below. List each item requested to support the proposed research, the associated cost, and a one-sentence justification for the request. Please note that worker pay and personal laptops/tablets/other computing devices are not fundable requests.
(Total Maximum: $500)
- Equipment & Technology
- Expendable Supplies & Services