GENERAL ENTRY REGISTRATION
- All projects and students must be registered online starting December 1, 2017 and no later than January 24, 2018.
- All entry fees of $6.00 per student must be paid no later than February 1, 2018. If payment cannot be made by this date because of school holidays or other schedule difficulties, please call or e-mail this office as soon as possible and we will work out a payment date for you.
See office location
for drop-off or mailing information.
Junior exhibit competitors must check in and set up on Thursday, February 15th, between 3:00 and 5:30 pm. Students must set up their exhibits and leave the exhibit area by 5:30 p.m. Preliminary judging of junior exhibits begins Thursday evening at 6:00 pm.
Preliminary Junior Exhibit judging is mandatory for all junior division exhibits.
Senior exhibit and 5th Grade exhibit competitors may check in and set up on Thursday, February 15, between 3:00 and 5:30 pm. OR Friday morning, February 16, between 8:30 and 10:00 am. If the school has a problem meeting this schedule please contact the HOTRHF coordinator.
IMPORTANT for 5th Grade Exhibits: YOU MUST be checked in and set-up by 9:00 am - your judging takes place between 9:00 to 11:00 am Friday morning
All exhibit competitors must return for Friday judging according to the schedule provided at check-in. During the scheduled Friday judging period, students--and ONLY students (no family/friends/sponsors)--will stand by their projects to be interviewed by the judges. Exhibits set up on Thursday evening must remain in place overnight and through the Friday judging period. The History Fair cannot assume liability for any items left overnight in the exhibit area. All exhibits must be removed by 7:00 pm on Friday evening.
PERFORMANCES AND DOCUMENTARIES
Judging of performances and documentaries is scheduled for Friday, February 16, 2018. However, all schools, sponsors, and students should be prepared to present their performances and documentaries on Thursday night, February 15, if the number of entries in these categories necessitates extended judging time. Students required to perform or show documentaries on Thursday night will be notified by their sponsor. Sponsors of the selected schools will be notified two weeks prior to the regional fair. Students judged on Thursday night will remove all equipment and props after they are judged; there are no overnight storage areas available.
HISTORICAL PAPERS - EARLY DUE DATE - Deadline for submission of historical papers is Wenesday, January 24, 2018. Students entering historical papers must:
- Upload a PDF of their paper entry to the online registration system AND
- Deliver four printed copies of their paper entries along with their bibliography to the History Fair office located in Carroll Library, 205-A
Submissions are required by the end of business day, Wednesday, January 24, 2018. Papers are pre-judged.
On Friday, February 16, all students who have entered historical papers MUST check in at the fair
during the designated check-in time or FORFEIT all eligibility for HOTRHF awards, including special awards.
See office location for drop-off or mailing details.
WEB SITES - EARLY DUE DATE - Deadline for completion of websites is Wednesday, January 24, 201.
- MANDATORY - per National History Day - ALL Web Site projects will be created, from their beginning, inside the National History Day Web Site Editor Web Portal - accessed through the NHD Web Site. National History Day Look for the NHD Web Portal Ikon OR a Web Site Creation Link on this page.
- Submitting Entry for Judging is done at the same time your sponsor selects your project CATEGORY during the on-line registration.
- Once the WEB SITE CATEGORY is selected, a pop-up field asks for the 8-digits of your URL as in the example shown next - the sponsor types in 7384414 only (this is the sample number - be sure to use each project's individual 8-digit number when they are being registered).
- ALL projects should have an 8-digit URL that looks like this sample URL http://7384414.nhd.weebly.com
- If your URL does not look like this CALL THIS OFFICE - you may be in the wrong weebly program.
- Web sites are pre-judged. Student access to their projects will be blocked after the deadline date.
- On Friday, February 16, all students who have entered Web sites MUST check in at the fair during the designated check-in time or FORFEIT all eligibility for HOTRHF awards, including special awards.
Deadlines are firm!
- Late entries will not be accepted.
Organizing the fair begins immediately after registration closes. Assigning project numbers, scheduling project presentations, judges, and volunteers, and many more tasks must be completed in sequence before the fair begins. Late changes make it impossible to ensure that all students are fairly judged and awards are correctly identified. The number of projects and students entered cannot be changed after the midnight deadline.
A student roster with project titles and declared categories will be sent to each teacher as soon as possible for verification after the deadline. At this time the teachers need to verify that all the information is correct or send corrections.
- If a student who is registered is unable to attend the fair, a substitution for that student is NOT allowed after the registration deadline. The student will be dropped.
- For individual entries, the entry will simply be dropped.
- For group entries of three to five members, a member drop will still allow the group entry to continue without the withdrawing member.
- For group entries of two members, a member drop will cause the other member to also be dropped and for the entry to be dropped from the competition. After the entry deadline a group entry cannot changed to an individual entry, or vice versa.
Exceptions will be considered for medical reasons or family emergencies only!
Conflict with another event IS NOT considered a valid reason to request an exception to the deadline rules, even if it occurs at the very last minute right before the history fair begins. Students must choose which event they will attend. Students who choose not to attend the history fair because of another event conflict must ask their teacher to contact HOTRHF and follow the student withdrawal procedures. Note that no refunds will be given for any entry fees paid.
HOTRHF Note: this page is current and up to date for 2018.