TurnItIn is a web-based service to which papers are submitted and compared to resources in the database, with the results of the comparison (including hyperlinks to web pages or other papers with the same text) sent to the instructor. TurnItIn also offers other services including Peer Review, an online collaborative learning solution to protect against peer collusion and Research Resources, for preemptive plagiarism education. The easiest way to use TurnItIn is through the Canvas LMS.
IMPORTANT: Baylor faculty who wish to use TurnItIn within a course are required to first view the information and resources provided here: https://www.baylor.edu/library/index.php?id=970755
NOTE: If Turnitin is used for a class, Baylor's office of the General Counsel requires that:
- The course syllabus for each course making use of Turnitin must provide the following notice:
- If use of Turnitin is instituted after the distribution of the syllabus, then an equivalent written notice must be provided by the instructor to the students.
- For legal reasons, you cannot use Turnitin for suspect papers belonging to individual students. Turnitin must be used for the papers of all of the students in the class.
- Require that all students in a class submit their own papers as opposed to submission by instructors or submission of individual papers singled out by instructors. This action ensures that the students are fully aware that Turnitin is being used.
- Do not make statements to students that Turnitin is being used in a given class when the class is not registered for use with Turnitin.
These resources will help faculty orient to Turnitin:
- Turnitin Best Practices in Canvas [PDF]
- Turnitin Feedback Studio - An Instructor Perspective [PDF] [VIDEO]
- Interpret a Turnitin Originality Report [PDF] [VIDEO]
- Turnitin GradeMark Markup and Score a Paper [PDF] [VIDEO]
- Manage Turnitin QuickMarks [PDF] [VIDEO]
- Manage Turnitin Rubrics [PDF] [VIDEO]
- Using Turnitin in Canvas [Website]
- Creating LTI assignments [PDF]
- Managing LTI assignments [PDF]
- Instructor Tutorial [VIDEO]
Student resources for Turnitin are available on the Turnitin for Students page. [Turnitin for students]